Tiny little wormlike bugs?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Tiny little wormlike bugs?

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

Has anyone seen really tiny little reddish worm like bugs in the Sierra? They are almost too small to see, about the size of a few grains of sugar, but you can see them moving.

I only saw them once on my JMT hike. I was camped by the bearboxes at the Lake Edison ferry landing. When I woke up a few dozen were in my tent. There were a lot more in my pack and in my clothing, cookset, etc. Luckily I was going to VVR so I was able to clean everything really well.

I'm not sure if they were a larvae or a lake sand parasite or what, but it freaked me out. I'm glad it was a one time thing.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

I've seen incredibly tiny red mites (kinda look like ticks)at various campsites in the Sierra but no tiny red worms. I don't know if they are hazardous to your health but the mites that I have seen seem to be attracted in some fashion to humans...
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tom »

Many years ago I saw giant, 8 foot tall red worms chasing green buffalo through the Crabtree Meadows area. Maybe because it was the late 1960s.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hey Tom,
Wish I'd been there......post a notice when you figure out how to get back, via a wormhole, perhaps?
cgundersen

On a serious note, I've seen the aforementioned mites, but not the worms!