Aspens are Already Turning - Eastern Sierra

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Aspens are Already Turning - Eastern Sierra

Post by Ranboze »

I was driving around the area of Sagehen Meadows, Wildhorse Meadows, etc... south of the 120, east of 395 and saw quite a few golden aspen leaves. The photogenic aspen grove just west of the June Lake Loop, north of Silver Lake, also has some turned leaves already. :(
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Those dry groves about Sagehen Peak about 9k are always some of the first to turn, but that is more usually about the second week of September. In upper Bear Creek 11k areas a couple weeks ago in early August, I was seeing some areas of arctic willow already turning dry and red. That normally doesn't occur until about the third week of August. It may be drier areas of such trees may move their leaf change clock earlier though I'd expect well watered areas like those along streams and permanent seeps will tend to change only when temps begin to drop. Also I'd guess the quality of leaves that change due to drying conditions may not have the vibrant quality that leaves do that undergo change due to chilling temps. Since cottonwood and willow tend to grow along lower elevations of more permanent streams, I'm guessing they will change at more normal times too The net result may be a less synchronized period of fall leaf color change that occurs over a longer period of weeks. Not the best prospects for leaf photographers. ...David