Markskor has passed away

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Markskor has passed away

Post by rlown »

Mark's son Bryan sent me a message that Mark passed away early this morning and was in no pain. I wished he could have made it home.
I think donations to the Leukemia foundation are in order as a tribute.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Markskor has passed away

Post by TahoeJeff »

Well damn, there goes another one of the good ones.
If I was still partaking, I'd take a puff in his memory....
RIP
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Very sad news. thanks for letting us know.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
bluefintu
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by bluefintu »

My condolence to the family and friends. He had wonderful stories to share.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

I've been messaging and calling Mark on and off for the last 3 weeks. I've been leaving him messages and voicemails, wishing him well and hope he is enjoying the meadows for me. I even had my Yosemite friends check on him up there, but no Mark. Blackout and I finally opened our restaurant and I've been thinking about him. I was waiting to break the news at just the right time so we can have him over for lunch or dinner. We were going to surprise him and have him do some paintings for us and have his work up at our place. We talked before he went up to Tuolumne. We bullshitted and speculated what kind of season it will be, the usual Tuolumne talk. Will Aramark try to work him to death, how will staffing be, etc. Not too many of us Yosemite's on the eastside, I considered him a dear friend. We chatted during late winter and spring, he sent me some artwork. I helped him with some stuff in Indy. We made plans to share some of my Lone Pine Confidential winter batch and catch up. I wish I did, I wish, I wasn't soo busy with my own life to take a moment, an hour to stop and see Mark. I remember in spring him telling me how beautiful the 3 creeks and flowers were in Crowley behind his house. We talked about the seasonal change from Lone Pine north. The other year he was supposed to come paint plein air in the Alabama hills and stay over, but i missed the message. He was always so inviting and welcoming, always eager to host us, we always had a great time chatting and bullshitting. I forgot my phone yesterday and was tempted to look at HST after a hiatus for some time. I didn't want all you cool kats out there making me jealous with all your cool trip reports while I worked on the restaurant. Soo I put my blinders on for a bit, till yesterday. When I saw the thread Marksor, I knew something had happened. It completely shocked me. My friend i've been trying to reach for days/weeks had passed away. It never crossed my mind, i thought mark had no service, he's having fun up there. He probably is!

Years ago we met Mark at a closed Tuolumne campground early season and we had a ball. Employees like to camp out early before the season starts, before the store opens. You have the place to yourself and meadows as your playground. That's where we figured out how we knew each other from online. Secret camping was soo much fun early season, especially with Mark.

I was trying to invite him to our fish fry on Friday, seems fitting. I cordially invite all friends and family of Mark and the HST community to stop by Coachwhip Cafe. Love to chat with any of you and share Mark stories and put a face to a name.

Cheers to Mark! Miss you buddy
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

He would have loved your Tri Tip!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Where's your restaurant Silky? We'll take you up on the visit. Ian.

We can lift a Sierra cup of Grand Marnier to Mark.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Where's your restaurant Silky?
Here you go Ian:
https://www.google.com/search?q=coachwh ... ent=safari#
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org