Why carry a firearm in wilderness if it can't be discharged?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
tiesing
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Why carry a firearm in wilderness if it can't be discharged?

Post by tiesing »

Curious non-gun owner here. The SEKI wilderness regulations permit one to carry a firearm in designated wilderness but it may not be discharged. So what benefit would it offer to carry a firearm if you can't shoot it? I'm not trolling here, I'm genuinely perplexed. It seems like it would be extra weight to carry for no benefit. I recently saw a backpacker on Bubb's Creek trail with a handgun strapped to the outside of their pack, and I got to wondering why they brought it.
I can envision someone who isn't familiar with Sierra black bears imagining they need a gun to defend themselves, but most experienced Sierra folks don't have this concern.
Any ideas?
Tie Sing was the USGS cook for Sierra expeditions in the late 1800's. Read more about Tie.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Why carry a firearm in wilderness if it can't be discharged?

Post by bobby49 »

Law enforcement rangers carry a sidearm for law enforcement purposes. Other rangers carry a firearm for bear control purposes. Otherwise, there isn't much point.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've carried in wilderness areas but only during hunting season with the right tags. Pretty stupid to carry in SEKI. I've seen hunters in Humphreys basin, and I've carried in the Shasta/Trinity area.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weapons.htm Yosemite

https://www.nps.gov/seki/learn/manageme ... licies.htm SEKI

My friends came across a woman with a 9mm in her pack who was a pass-through hiker to the South from TM. That weapon wasn't meant for bears. It was meant for unfriendly hikers, most likely men.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

There's a big difference between discharging a firearm and self defense.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

I don't see where the firearm regulations for SEKI are specific to the wilderness (backcountry) area. The regulations appear to be written for the whole park, including the developed areas like lodging, visitor's center, etc. So, if you have gun in your vehicle and you enter the park, you're not breaking the law; just leave it in your car.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Hunting with a firearm is legal in National Forest and BLM Wilderness. Not allowed in National Park Wilderness.

A legit self-defense discharge is a lot different from recreational target shooting.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

tiesing wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:41 am Any ideas?
Most gun owners are irrationally scared.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I once fished with a .357 for trout in the emigrant wilderness. Got a limit. Trust me, most gun owners aren't irrationally scared. We just have the right tools for when others go irrational.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

dave54 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:08 pm Hunting with a firearm is legal in National Forest and BLM Wilderness. Not allowed in National Park Wilderness.

A legit self-defense discharge is a lot different from recreational target shooting.
Well said Dave.

I'm a gun owner and have carried a small pistol in the wilderness once. I was solo for a couple of nights in an area where a friend was watched by a curious mountain lion for 45 mins the previous week.

The lion visited my camp the first night. I didn't see the cat but there were fresh prints in the mud by the lake in the AM. I had absolutely no intention of shooting the lion but a pistol is a very effective noise maker if needed.

With that said, I didn't like the extra weight and especially the extra caution I needed to take with it in my pack. It detracted from my wilderness experience.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

rlown wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:19 am I once fished with a .357 for trout in the emigrant wilderness. Got a limit. Trust me, most gun owners aren't irrationally scared. We just have the right tools for when others go irrational.
If that was at Hyatt Lake I picked up your brass...

I'm pretty sure you are just making a point though. :cool: