Does this area have a name?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Does this area have a name?

Post by CAMERONM »

I am embarking on a trip next week passing through an area that does not seem to have a name. It is bounded by the Goddard Canyon to the west, Evolution Valley to the north, Evolution Basin to the east, the Ionian Basin to the south. It has a ridge that includes Emerald Peak, Peter Peak, and Mt. McGee. McGee Canyon and the McGee Lakes run through it, and it encompasses Davis Lake. Most particularly, I would think the ridge and the unnamed lakes lining its eastern side would have a name!
question area.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Does this area have a name?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Davis Lake and Martha Lake drain into Goddard Canyon, whereas McGee Creek and the other lakes drain into Evolution Creek. I would say that they are different "basins" although they both are part of the headwaters of the South Fork of the San Joaquin.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

If you find yourself in Goddard Canyon, about halfway along there is an interesting feature called the Pig Chute.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Davis Lake and Martha Lake drain into Goddard Canyon, whereas McGee Creek and the other lakes drain into Evolution Creek.
Good point. I would say if an area is defined by its drainage, then one may remove these two from consideration. It still seems curious to me that the ridge and eastward lakes appear in map to be a distinct enough feature to have a name. Circled in purple.
question area 2.jpg
If you find yourself in Goddard Canyon, about halfway along there is an interesting feature called the Pig Chute.
Well I loved Goddard Canyon when I passed through it a few years ago, so I will look for it next time. It is worthy of a second trip for sure. I wasn't that thrilled with Martha Lake; I found it a bit lunar and foreboding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

All I know is when you go over HFS pass and start the descent into Goddard Canyon, that black ridge jumps out in stark contrast to the surrounding granite you've been traveling through for several days. That was my first WOW moment on my first trip into the interior in '85.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.