Inyo wilderness permits

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Inyo wilderness permits

Post by SirBC »

Just as another point of reference, I have an Inyo (Italy Pass) permit for July 16th and I emailed my permit request on Saturday July 3rd and received the permit on Monday July 5th. The issuing station was listed as Mammoth.
-------------
Dave | flickr
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Inyo wilderness permits

Post by SSSdave »

As of today Friday July 9, had still not received an email for printing out my reserved permit from INF after inputting a request on July 1. With my trip just 4 days away began calling the phone numbers on the reservation email page. No one would pick up at the Mammoth number 760 924550 probably because they are overwhelmed by car campers calling about all the recreation sites there. Called the Wilderness Permit Office: 760 8732483 (press 0) twice and each time the answering person stated they could not hear me then hung up that had to be an issue at their end. Finally just before 4pm called the Mono Basin Scenic Area 760 6473044 and got through. Of all the INF offices they are always likely to be the least busy. They asked for my reservation number and now a half hour later have received an email with the permit pdf I will print out.

Any others that will be in Pioneer Basin next Thu-Fri-Sat might send me a PM to possibly meet up a bit. I'm likely to climb the sub peak east of Crocker starting up sunrise Saturday for a mid morning viewpoint of the upper McGee Creek basin.