Island Cairns of Vee Lake

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Island Cairns of Vee Lake

Post by cgundersen »

Several years ago, I posted a brief thread pondering the origin of cairns on the small islands of Vee Lake (were they assembled by someone who braved the chilly water and swam over; or, did some clever soul bring an inflatable, or better yet, a winter adventurer walked the frozen surface to taunt the summer folk?). Anyway, those cairns have now disappeared. Which raises the same question: swim, paddle or ice? And the next question is who is going to resurrect them?
Any suggestions?
Cameron
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Island Cairns of Vee Lake

Post by balzaccom »

I hope nobody resurrects them. Most parks and wilderness areas now consider those graffiti...as do I.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

balzaccom wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:31 pm I hope nobody resurrects them. Most parks and wilderness areas now consider those graffiti...as do I.
Same here.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by erutan »

Bear Creek Basin as a whole is infested with cairns. They have their place for old fading packer trails, when to start cutting up for a climb into favorable terrain you can't see, a really cool little camp off a ridgeline you can't see, etc.

There's more that are just idiotic - cairning a ridgeline because it's cool, cairning an outlet to go up to a lake (no **** buddy), cairning super easy XC like between lower lakes in Bear Creek Basin, etc that I do my best to dismantle.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I don't know why this reminds me of a story. 2009, I was doing a solo hike up to Hungry Packer Lake. I stopped for a break after crossing the inlet stream to Dingleberry Lk. As I sat there, I watched a pack train crossing up stream at the packers crossing. As I got going again, passing by the packers crossing, I noticed a floppy leather hat on the trail. I figured one of the crew lost it, so I put it on top of a high boulder and rocked it down. Passing the spot on my way out, I noticed the hat was gone and a small duck was in it's place. I quietly said "you're welcome" and knocked the duck down. A subtle communication between two people who never met.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.