Status of Dogs in Wilderness Areas?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Status of Dogs in Wilderness Areas?

Post by markskor »

Just to add...love dogs but...
- Having been bit, while solo (not bad but drew blood)...the dog was off leash and a good hundred yards ahead of the backpacking owner. FYI, heard the usual words yelled out, "Oh he doesn't bite", just before he did. The Lab was far out ahead and seemed to be protecting his party coming up.
- Once, in the Sawtooths with Mike, we had planned to stay at one particular lake but, after we got there, and saw the previous departing campers had multiple dogs running free...mega-piles of dog-chit everywhere... ruined the one good site at that lake.
- No big but whle fishing (multiple times), have had unleashed dogs jump in, right in front of my casts. I love dogs too but not where I am fishing.
- In the Tuolumne store, (where I work), we get a lot of owners claiming the old but vague adage - " He is a Service Animal and thus is allowed in the store." By law, we are not allowed to ask any further questions...(IMHO, pretty broad this Service Dog designation). The dog, (obviously right out of a car), may be providing some service but having a high-strung Airdale or larger jumping around in the crowded store was just wrong...and why always the entitled attitude?
- We see many thru hikers with their designated "Service Dogs" stopping off at the store (PCT and JMT trails diverge here)...Quite a few limping, with obvious sore paws.
Are you prepared to carry your dog out?
just my 2 cents
-
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

And therein lies the problem. Every dog is different and the change their habits about every 3-6 months, even with a routine.

It is hard to prove that a dog is reliably trained. Dogs always get weird when in new situations.

I got kind of lucky with Simba. We hiked in a few miles on Loon Lake's South trail. Set up camp for a couple days. It was a dog test trip.
Did fine on the way in with no people. Quiet in the tent. Sat behind me while I fished. Swam around after I was done and gave him permission to do so. (mental note: bring a towel)

The second day while I was fishing, he saw two mountain bikers on the trail and went berserk. He was off leash at the time but I did the normal thing.
Shouted NO and he didn't respond at first. Then I hit him with the remote collar with NO again at the same time and he broke off.

Bottom line, dogs are unpredictable and the owner has to try and be one step ahead of what they might be thinking and what is going around in the general area.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, dogs are nuts. I've hunted a lot back east with well trained hunting dogs. You'll get 5 in the truck, but there's always that one that decides to just keep running, and then you're driving around at flipping midnight tracking his collar trying to get him back in the damn dog box.

If you really need something to cuddle with, bring a stuffed animal. Or at least keep him on a leash and pick up his poop.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

markskor wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:51 am Just to add...love dogs but...
- Having been bit, while solo (not bad but drew blood)...the dog was off leash and a good hundred yards ahead of the backpacking owner. FYI, heard the usual words yelled out, "Oh he doesn't bite", just before he did. The Lab was far out ahead and seemed to be protecting his party coming up.
- Once, in the Sawtooths with Mike, we had planned to stay at one particular lake but, after we got there, and saw the previous departing campers had multiple dogs running free...mega-piles of dog-chit everywhere... ruined the one good site at that lake.
- We see many thru hikers with their designated "Service Dogs" stopping off at the store (PCT and JMT trails diverge here)...Quite a few limping, with obvious sore paws.
Are you prepared to carry your dog out?
just my 2 cents
-
I've had these same experiences, including being bit once in the calf. Funny how it's always the "friendly dogs" that bite or approach with teeth bared and hackles up? It's to the point that I "know" a dog is a danger as soon as the owners says, "don't worry, he/she is friendly".

p.s. I've had one or more dogs for as long as I can remember, including two right now. I don't blame the dogs for any bad behavior; I blame the owners.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

I haven't had any terrible encounters, but I've been on two hikes when an off-leash dog went ahead of the group and was growling at me with it's fur raised for 30-60 seconds, then the owner comes up and tells me "oh don't worry, he's friendly". I'm not really a dog person, but I'm not stupid either, and that wasn't friendly behaviour. I seem to know a lot of people that have been bitten by "friendly" dogs though.

[update: written while the post above was being written hah].

I have had dogs run up to me when I'm sitting down eating trying to steal my food, which is annoying.

I could see some theoretical scenario where dogs & owners have gone through some comprehensive training course (there are the occasional off leash dogs that are incredibly well trained and will move to the opposite side of a person away from me when they call out left or right etc), but that just seems impossible to actually enforce in a realistic way.

The best thing is when you're in NFS wilderness and someone has tossed in a bag full of dog **** in the firering they used the night before during a fire ban...
LincolnB
Topix Acquainted

Post by LincolnB »

My dog's prey drive (German Shepherd mix) is hopelessly strong so even while backpacking I keep her on a leash. 30', so she can run around and smell stuff while I keep a steady pace. I reel her in when passing other hikers.

I carry a "Pack-A-Paw" sling so I could carry her out if she breaks a leg or whatever. Would have to leave my backpack behind, no big deal. Came close to doing that a couple times in the Eastern Sierra, the pumice-laden sand made her paws sore but she refused to wear booties.

There's been discussion of expanding the National Parks areas - I'm opposed, unless there's some way to bring my friend. Already we're blocked from much of the Sierra.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nice idea of carrying your dog out. Mine weighs 80 lbs, so no. I'll just press the sos button. He has as much insurance as I do, and is on the permit.
Booties are a training exercise, but it does work. They walk funny for a while but you can also use the bootie to add meds/salves/etc. to ease the issue.
LincolnB
Topix Acquainted

Post by LincolnB »

Mine is 75 lbs, would but tough but we've practiced in the local hills. She doesn't like being carried. But not nearly as much as she hates booties, I've tried several times, if she can't shake them off she'll chew them off
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

So 75 lbs + pack weight and in 8 or so miles? ouch..
LincolnB
Topix Acquainted

Post by LincolnB »

Yeah, that's why I'd have to leave my equipment behind.

But back to the point I was vaguely approaching - my dog and I have little impact on wilderness, yet we're banned from much of it. Including Henry Coe, near where I live, one of the largest parks in California. So for those who want to expand parkland: I'd be more supportive if there were reasonable rules about canine companions, instead of a total ban