Favorite eastside resorts & resort settings?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Favorite eastside resorts & resort settings?

Post by oleander »

My friends and their kid are planning a July week in the Eastern Sierra, and are interested in staying at a resort or two. Thoughts:

Between 6k-10k feet
Mid-priced
They are more likely to be interested in the Lee Vining - Convict Lake corridor, but may also be open to something up in the mountains west of Bishop.
They like scenery, hiking, the basic outdoor sightseeing (e.g. Devils Postpile). They don't fish.
Resort doesn't necessarily have to be on a lake setting or something. Just relatively quiet. (I tend to think they would not like something located in the town of Mammoth Lakes.)

Thoughts?
Something on the June Lakes loop maybe?

For all the dozens of times I've been in the Eastern Sierra, I've only ever stayed in campgrounds, road pullouts, or basic motels...I realized I know nothing at all about the resorts!
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Favorite eastside resorts & resort settings?

Post by ironmike »

Cardinal Resort in Alpendell
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

I've stayed at the Double Eagle resort at June Lake a couple of times and really enjoyed it. We stayed once in the hotel proper and once in one of the cabins. The cabins will be quieter but didn't have as nice of a view.
-------------
Dave | flickr
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Going from north to south, here are my takes.
Tioga Pass Resort: No stay experience since the new owners took over a few years ago. They have been closed since 2017. They keep maintaining they will reopen, but haven’t yet. The website says to email the owner. I tried 3 times and never received a reply. The location is great. It’s a question of when will they open, if ever.

Rock Creek Lake Resort: I’ve never stayed here, but have been going for Sue’s pies since 1983 and the Grill on multiple occasions after backpack trips and ended up talking to the owner fairly extensively in the process and found him genuine and just a nice guy. The food is great and Sue’s pies even better. The location near Mosquito Flat and thus Little Lakes Valley means there are lots of dayhikes. A lot of the cabins are 2-bedroom, which is good if you have children. They thrive on repeat business, which is a good tesimony on their quality.

Parchers Resort. We stayed here and liked it okay. The location below the South Lake trailhead means they are lots of places to day-hike. Most of the other guests were there to fish at South Lake.

Ironmike’s suggestion of Cardinal Village I can’t attest to except it looked good and they have a payphone we’ve used multiple times. The staff were very friendly and kind. The Sabrina trailhead is just up the road and North Lake trailhead goes off from the Sabrina Road so there are lots of dayhikes.

Bishop Creek Lodge: After eating at the restaurant and using their pay phone a couple of times, my wife and I decided to stay there this summer since the most isolated cabin was available for our 48th anniversary. It’s further from South Lake than Parchers, but since you have to drive to the trailhead, it’s basically the same.

I also looked into the places outside Mammoth Lakes on the Lake Mary Road and they all seem to require a week-long stay and are fishing oriented.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck finding a place for your friends.
Last edited by LMBSGV on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Tough question. Bishop, Crowley, Convict/Mammoth, June lake, Lee Vining areas are all beautiful in very different ways. Hard to choose or recommend one are over another without more info.

Resort.....definition (and expectations) can mean different things to different people. They looking for a simple store with cabins or a 4 star restaurant with hotel and spa?
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Cabins would be fine for them, I think. No need for 4-star, but I can't picture them in a cabin that is too cramped or dark, either...Hence "mid-priced" sounds about right.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

All the ones others have mentioned but also Tuolumne Meadows Lodge in Yosemite if you can get a reservation. It's rustic with tent cabins only and a common bath house but lots to do around there.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

An idea, maybe get a motel in Lee Vining. Easy access to the Yosemite entrance/Saddlebag area, Lundy canyon, Mono lake and close to Virginia Lakes area. Lots to do and see in that area. Plus they can experience the Mobil Mart food \:D/
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

id check out reds meadow resort for access to the minarets
if you need easier trails rock creek resort
if you arent going to be hiking and mainly fishing id do convict lake
if you want to be closer to town there are a few in mammoth lakes or june lakes which gives you access to all difficulties of hiking, fishing, as well as access to the town itself. June lakes would be better for access to tuolumne meadows
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Just to add to my original post back in 2021, we've since stayed at Rock Creek Lake Resort a couple of times (including our 50th anniversary in June 2023) and loved it. And Sue is still making her pies!
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com