What kind of campfire is this?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

mountaineer wrote:I think I hiked it in about 45 minutes years ago...probably not too fast compared to some.
I haven't been up to the peak in several years so I really can't even estimate. 45 minutes sounds like a nice pace, but I never really cared for speed hiking. I'm probably too slow to be a hiking partner for many of the regulars here. I measure my hiking speed in smiles per hour.

South of there are some trails that get relatively little use. Heart Lake is a easy destination. Older maps show two trails leading to it from the 17 Road. The North Digger Creek trail is nearly gone. Someone built a series of cairns to mark the route but it is still hard to follow. The South Digger Creek trail is well maintained (by the CDC inmate crews from Ishi Camp in Paynes Creek). Both trails come together at Heart Lake and continues south to Glassburner Meadows and the 30N16 Road. I haven't been on that section of trail in many years so I cannot relate its condition. Some people mtn bike it even though it just cuts across the corner of LVNP. About a 1/4 mile up the trail from the 30N16 road is a nice surprise. A 1931 plantation has some Giant Sequoias that have grown well. Planted by the CCC's.

Another favorite hike of mine is in the Blue Lake/Rice Creek/Spencer Meadows area just south of the Park Boundary. I make a loop out of it. Blue Lake gets a fair amount of day use but the trails north of Blue Lake see very little use. Unfortunately, not much maintenance either.

Do you visit some lesser used trails in the area?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by mountaineer »

LOL! That 45 minute hike was about 22 years ago. Not these days. I haven't been up there in about that long but I definitely need to go back. That Blue Lake hike sounds interesting. I remember Lassen being a photographers paradise.

Thanks for the info.

This is pathetic, I come in here looking for an argument and I end up talking hiking in the mountains. :unibrow:

P.S. SPH, I like it!
Bearlover
Founding Member

Want a good argument Mountaineer? One word.. Evolution

Post by Bearlover »

Just bring up Evolution again! I seem to remember quite a debate.. monkey flowers and all! Oops.. I hope I don't start an avalanche where a gentle cascade is wanted!
There is a Bear.. Where? Over there!
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

dave54 wrote:Because we can go to any of the other sites and get all the political BS we can stomach. Even threads that start out as outdoor related soon degenerate into a political mudfest.
Personally, I'm happy this place is the way it is. Too many good sites and newsgroups have been completely ruined by political non-sense intruding OFF-TOPIC. I don't come here to read about the latest Bush-bash or "blood for oil" crap, and the less I see of it here the happier I'll be. :)
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

mountaineer wrote:LOL! That 45 minute hike was about 22 years ago. Not these days. I haven't been up there in about that long but I definitely need to go back. That Blue Lake hike sounds interesting. I remember Lassen being a photographers paradise.

Thanks for the info.

This is pathetic, I come in here looking for an argument and I end up talking hiking in the mountains. :unibrow:

P.S. SPH, I like it!
For an interesting sidenote on Mt. Lassen area do a search on 'Mt. Lassen' and 'UFO'. According to some in the tin foil beanie crowd a whole underground city of aliens live inside the mountain. :D

Those internet sites sure add a bit of color to the evening campfire tales... :lol:
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

Indeed, I visited a few web sites that say alien tunnels are all over the place. If it's on the internet, it must be true! :retard:
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I understand that you don't want the Sierra forum to degenerate and that some good outdoors topics degrade into slander and the like. However, isn't that the whole concept of "The Campfire"? Put all non-Sierra topics in here so people can flame away and not muck up the serious threads? Why would I want to go to some political website and spout off to a poli-sci major at Harvard? I would much rather get into a heated debate with someone who is like-minded in our love for the outdoors, specifically the Sierra Nevada. Just more interesting for me...I guess I don't get the purpose of "The Campfire" if people are going to get all irritated about political discussion. Oh well...

JM I noticed you are from Carson City. Here is my last photo from Carson City. I was on the hill west of 395 at the south end of town.
Bearlover
Founding Member

Jesus

Post by Bearlover »

Holy Jesus christ on a crutch.. anyways I like that photo. I agree If you don't allow us a crap forum we are likely to make one out of other forums. Call it the banality of men(women too for gods sake someone invent an all encompassing word for us that is not gender specific!).. call it what you want.. we like to rant.. let the campfire be the "ranting" forum. Better here than anywhere. Don't worry Eric I promise not to call anyone an ass because they think we came from Adam and Eve (even if that means 4 billion people are the product of incest) OK I don't promise but I won't call anyone an ass for their opinion just cause I happen to be an ass for mine. No I really am an ass. Let the fire burn it all baby...
There is a Bear.. Where? Over there!
Cruiser
Founding Member

Post by Cruiser »

Eric
...and I don't remember ever saying anything like that about mountaineer?
It's a bear getting old. They say the first thing to go is memory.

Mountaineer, so far I agree. If a thread isn't dedicated to expressing all of those pent-up hostilities you have, you might muck up something serious. There must be a leak in the exhaust system of that hiway cruiser you drive that's letting exhaust fumes into the interrior area. Now let's see. . . . what can we disagree about? :evil:
Lord, where am I?. . You are here!. . . Could you be more specific Lord?. . . -> X