A sense of humor in Government Memo

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

A sense of humor in Government Memo

Post by oldranger »

Being struck with nostalgia I was up till 2 last night going thru old slides, pics and papers. Back in the 80s (probably before and probably still) military pilots loved to buzz Whitney and blast down the Kern Trench. Once an obsolete F-86D blasted by Roaring River rangerstation at treetop level (obviously privately owned) That experience really scared the bejesus out of me. I was always worried what would happen if that happened when I was shoeing a horse. At any rate it was a big deal in the park and in 85 we received this memo with a couple pages of attachements (not included):
Scan 8.jpeg
Fyi: There was no Sierra District Arms warehouse!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oldranger on Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A sense of humor in Government Memo

Post by rlown »

:D I would have submitted a requisition.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Perfect !
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

We think you wrote this Mike. :nod:
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

:thumbsup:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Old ranger, thanks for posting. The boys flying up there are still having fun. We joke about that a lot during the shoulder seasons. I have experienced my share of fly bys. Sooo true about the horses and pack mules, scary.

Having met some of the pilots over the years and some fairly recently, they seem to have points of interests they like and go check out. One guy really loves flying over by Mallory.
DaveB
Topix Novice

Post by DaveB »

This memo reads suspiciously like Durkee was involved....
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Durkee was in the backcountry at the time. You gotta know the District and subdistrict Rangers at the time.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

It’s one of the downsides of doing trips in eastern SEKI. Haven’t seen any that low, but had two low enough troop transports last summer I could read the lettering on the sides - looked like they were going to crash into the pinnacles above Paiute creek heh.

If ~Onion Valley or south I probably hear fighters screaming by ~5-10 times a day. :/

I’ve joked how I’d have shoulder mounted missiles if they didn’t count as mechanical objects in the wilderness before. :)