Water Levels: Cedar Grove and Yosemite

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
MamaBear
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Water Levels: Cedar Grove and Yosemite

Post by MamaBear »

Hi all!
It's been a while since I've been here. I'm glad the boards are up and running. I hope everyone is having a great summer.

I visited SierraVisions web cam page in hopes of finding a pic of either the Kings River (South Fork) that goes through Cedar Grove, or a pic of the falls in Yosemite. I didn't see any.

Can someone tell me what the water level is like? I know there's been a drought, and I didn't know if the water was unusually low. I'd hate to fly all the way out there and not have my river! (that would be the Kings River).

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me!
Debbie
..."Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted that I should ever come back"...
Robert Frost
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Not sure about Kings area but as of yesterday (Monday 7/23) Yosemite Falls had virtually no water coming over the top. We could not see any water trickling down the side either. Bridelveil has some water but not much and we did not go up towards Vernal and nevada, but the Merced is low but not so much that the falls would be gone. Major rivers seem to be flowing still but most of the creeks are gone for the year.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Hey Mamabear! Welcome back!

I was in Cedar Grove yesterday, 7/23, and the water in the South Fork Kings is VERY low for this time of year. The water level is more like you would see in late September.

We are FINALLY getting a little monsoon moisture coming in, big thunder boomers happening right now. lightning fires could be an issue though. Still, freshens everything up a bit and smells wonderful!
MamaBear
Founding Member

Post by MamaBear »

You guys are great!

Thanks for the info. I've been whining and moaning for a long time because I was jealous that you guys lived out there and I didn't anymore. Now, I'm finally planning a trip, finally convinced my kids that they'd rather see the Sierra than any other vacation, and the water's almost gone. :(

Well, I'm still working on it. But we couldn't come until August. I've been there during a normal August and September. At the rate it's going this year, by August there may not be much of anything.

I'm depending on you guys to keep me going with your pictures and local info.

I LOVE THIS BOARD!
Thanks!

P.S. Skibum, thanks for the welcome back! Your "smells wonderful" comment reminds me that the smell of the grove alone would be worth the trip. :p
..."Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted that I should ever come back"...
Robert Frost