Critters car-munching at the trailhead.

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Critters car-munching at the trailhead.

Post by dave54 »

On another website there is a discussion about people returning to their vehicles parked at a trailhead and finding their brakelines, hoses, wiring, etc chewed by 4-legged visitors. I had tooth marks in a radiator hose once, at the 1000 Lakes Wilderness, but never had an incapacitated vehicle.

In a sense, we really cannot be angry at the wildlife. We can't blame them because a pile of tasty rubber and plastic suddenly appeared in their territory. :lol:

Anyone have any stories to share?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Well, this is a repeat story, but why not.......

I was returning from a dayhike at Mineral King and looked down from the top of the switchbacks that afternoon to see my car, the only car at the trailhead, surrounded by car eating Marmots. Even though I was tired, I started jogging down the trail knowing I was a solid 5 to 10 minutes before I was in "yelling distance". I also had my keyfob in hand, thinking I could activate the horn on the car to scare the little chewing son of a guns away.

As I got to my car, they all ran off to the shrubs (I could hear 'em laughing though). I started the engine to make sure I wasn't stuck, and while it ran I went about taking off my backpack, changing shoes and so forth. I got into the drivers seat and was about to leave when it occurred to me I had not looked under the hood. So...I got out and popped the hood. After about two seconds, this big, fat red-headed Marmot popped his head up from the back of the engine compartment and shot out of there like a bat out of hell. It was then I noticed what he had for lunch while I was out hiking.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

:lol:
Piece of cake.
MamaBear
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Mama and Her Tupperware

Post by MamaBear »

When I was about 5, I remember our family camping with a big group of friends up at Crater Lake. I remember my Mom walking to the trunk of the car and finding a bear biting into here Tupperware containers in hopes of finding food. She yanked the lid out of the bear's mouth and proceeded to swat him with it. She successfully scared him off.

I have no earthly idea what possessed her to do that. I just guess she liked here Tupperware. I remember we still used that lid long after with the teeth marks still in it.

I was little, but I do remember that. :)
..."Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted that I should ever come back"...
Robert Frost
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Last year I went up to Mineral King and when I came down the trail I saw the critters under my car. I retrieved the pistol out of my pack and, with the silencer attached, dispatched two of the critters before I saw a car coming up the road. Luckily, the hose they ate was one I had brought a replacement for.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

mountaineer wrote:Last year I went up to Mineral King and when I came down the trail I saw the critters under my car. I retrieved the pistol out of my pack and, with the silencer attached, dispatched two of the critters before I saw a car coming up the road. Luckily, the hose they ate was one I had brought a replacement for.
Why didn't I think of that!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

mountaineer wrote:Last year I went up to Mineral King and when I came down the trail I saw the critters under my car. I retrieved the pistol out of my pack and, with the silencer attached, ...
Many of us carry a firearm in the backcountry on occasion, but a silencer?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Just yanking your chain. :)
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Too bad. I was hoping you would share how to make a small lightweight inexpensive home-made silencer.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

dave54 wrote:Too bad. I was hoping you would share how to make a small lightweight inexpensive home-made silencer.
I know how, but I won't share. :)