Show the trash you packed out

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Show the trash you packed out

Post by tomba »

Last weekend 4 day loop in Emigrant Wilderness: Kennedy Meadows, Iceland Lake, Lewis Lakes, Emigrant Meadow, Buck Lakes, northernmost Wire Lake, Upper Relief Valley.

We were planning to go to Hoover Wilderness out of Green Creek, but when we got in the morning to Sonora Pass on highway 108 the road was closed because of an empty FedEx truck accident on a hair-pin turn. Since hazmat had to be involved (due to diesel fuel near a creek) it would take till about noon to open the highway.

Here is the trash we packed out. Found titanium knife and fork.
DSC51442-small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Trash picked from a trip to Onion Valley over a week ago:
DSC51458-small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

+1 to @tomba's post about balloons. This year I found (and packed out) at least a dozen mylar balloons over various trips in May and June. Uggh.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Way too many of those in Death Valley last week. We pulled out four of them over two days.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

At least the mylar balloons are light weight and easy to pack out. Beer bottles, as show by tomba are another thing! And although tissues and TP are light to pick up there is the YUK factor. Day hikers particularly seem to think nothing of throwing their used tissues on the trail.

Some of the items I have found have been useful, and I kept them! Such as a nice titanium fork.

Here are two items I found that I did NOT carry out: found them below a melted glacier in Wyoming.

60_PlaneWreck_02.jpg
61_PlaneWrreck_03.jpg
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:33 am Beer bottles, as show by tomba are another thing!
Absolutely.
Thanks tomba for hauling all those loads of OPG out.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:33 amDay hikers particularly seem to think nothing of throwing their used tissues on the trail.
That's a mighty broad brush you're painting with... especially since most day hikers just poop when they get back to a toilet. When it comes to which group has less of an impact per capita on the backcountry, I'm gonna bet on the group that eats, sleeps and poops somewhere else.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

"trash" is what is left behind that SHOULD be carried out. Poop properly buried (TP carried out), or fish guts and bones properly disposed of are not "trash". Yes backpackers "impact" more, but trash does not equal impact.

Case in point- I find lots of tissues dropped, clothing articles left, empty water bottles, etc. on the heavily used trails out of Yosemite Valley. The farther into the backcountry, the less trailside trash. Part is that backpack usage is limited by the permits; day hikes are not, so the hordes of day-hikers leave more total trash than the backpackers. Granted, if you consider per-capita, maybe not.

But I think it is more due to attitude- front-country users simply think some park service employee will come along and pick up after them. A lot of day-hikers have similar attitudes. If you really want to see trash, go into any of the Yosemite Valley restrooms (particularly woman's) and the floor is littered with TP that the user dropped probably by accident, yet refused to pick up after themselves.

Picking up after one's self is learned behavior (as any mother knows!). And we come from a society where one puts trash out on the curb, and miracles of miracles, a big noisy truck comes along and picks it all up! Unless taught, the idea of putting ones used TP in a bag and carrying it out is foreign to a lot of people. Backpackers at least get the "talk" while obtaining their permit, and know even if they fail to act, that you "carry it in- carry it out". I have seen many day-hikers blow their nose in tissues (they really should learn to snort) then look bewildered for a moment, before discretely dropping the used tissue along the trail.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

When I'm backpacking, I don't see much trash. I do see money, all in small coins. On the average trip, I go home with an extra 37 cents.

Do I have to claim that as ordinary income on my taxes?
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Bishop Pass, Dusy Basin, Palisade Basin, 4 days last weekend. 4 stakes, 3 of them found in Palisade Basin. No conditions report because @mort already reported them.
DSC51505-small.jpeg