Nobody wants us recreating near their small Sierra town

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Nobody wants us recreating near their small Sierra town

Post by SSSdave »

I don't think that is still the situation. 8 weeks of lock down SIP has given mountain communities time to figure out how to move forward once things open back up. Just look at any of the mountain county websites and one will see detailed thorough work and planning being done. There was never an expectation of continuing to keep things locked down beyond a short few weeks although there have been plenty trying to hijack the flattening the curve to that end.

Not only in Sierra communities but everywhere in the state and nation, businesses have been brainstorming with a passion for ways to keep their employees and customers safe. Due to lack of testing and lack of PPE we are still at a less than ideal level, however several weeks have helped enormously versus where we were early March. And importantly, most of we citizens have learned how to play the social distancing game including how to do so going into stores, workplaces, and whatever. That noted, it is also true it will be impossible while the virus is active without a vaccine and treatments, to return to many indoor pursuits we enjoyed in the past like in restaurants, bars, sporting events, and other high density gregarious activities. And in terms of outdoor mountain recreation, yes there are obviously going to be impacts to those used to lodging and or dense car camping with an umbilical cord to local mountain communities. For we more independent backpackers and hikers, not so much.

Weeks from now if the second wave is indeed horrible that I personally expect, we won't be able to regret opening up now because that has never been a practical option given otherwise even more catastrophic economic and employment damage with civilization in chaos and anarchy. There seem to be significant numbers now that have risen up in protest of additional lock down measures because as noted the flattening the curve strategy has been somewhat hijacked by those many now wanting that to continue. In other words many of those whining about opening up too slowly also seem to have forgot that the lock down was only going to be temporary because the hijackers and their media have gotten in their face. Sorry folks but that is and has always been a formula for disaster and is not on the table for discussion despite some politicians and their media puppets joining that camp for their obvious election agendas. That is also why our now locked thread became unproductive because there were members on both sides that had lost sight of the original 2 month flattening the curve goal.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

The communities will come out of it. Shelter the at-risk and let everyone else get back to work. Didn't seem to bother the old man in the mask at the local store buying his 12 pack. If you get it, it probably won't kill you, unless you have underlying conditions.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

rlown wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:12 pm So, you have a lot of money to live off of as well?
Is that directed at me? No I don't. And, I don't see how that has any bearing on the need to behave as a civilized society. Yes, I said NEED. Whether you want to accept it, society is a necessity for humans.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It isn't exactly directed at you. It was directed at Paul. Masks are not normal. Opening business is important. Test as appropriate.
If you have money to live off, you're pretty well set, and deal with what comes. I personally don't have to wear a mask in most of my transactions these days. I live or I die. Only way to go. Remember, we are just the current biological infestation.
You need to work on context on a thread. My post followed his.

But if you have money to live off as well, then what is the problem?
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Could you please move the argument about Covid response to the 52 page Covid thread?

I have very strong views on this pandemic, and keep well informed, but I come here to think about the Sierra and backpacking. The last thing in the world I want to think about in the time I spend on High Sierra Topix are the depressing issues that I face on a daily basis, and that I escape from when I head into the mountains.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Getting way to far off the original subject matter, please get back on course, or this one will be locked too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

rlown wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:48 pm It isn't exactly directed at you. It was directed at Paul. Masks are not normal. Opening business is important. Test as appropriate.
If you have money to live off, you're pretty well set, and deal with what comes. I personally don't have to wear a mask in most of my transactions these days. I live or I die. Only way to go. Remember, we are just the current biological infestation.
You need to work on context on a thread. My post followed his.

But if you have money to live off as well, then what is the problem?
Sorry, I guess I was confused by its location in the thread directly below my post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

What I am is old. I've lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Vietnam War, the crash of the early 80's when interest rates were above 20%. I was in Spain when unemployment was at 25% for years. For years.

We will make it through this. It won't be easy, and at times it will get worse before it gets better. We absolutely need to provide economic support for everyone who needs it. And raise taxes to do that.

And we can do that and still show care and compassion for those who are most at risk from the virus, as well as those who are most at risk from economic suffering.

But that takes leadership at all levels, and real community unity and awareness.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Yes, as did I (well, not Spain.) Not seeing how that helps small businesses being shut down. Open them. Shelter the at risk, sample test and move on with life.
I don't want to see taxes increase because of this. Most are close to the max taxation already. Taxation isn't about leadership, but CA seems to think that is what works.

People need to work and not live in an economic tomb waiting for a government to bail them out. Small tourist towns especially.
If they truly don't want us there, fine. Go with it.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Riown, Max taxation? For how many years did the US have a marginal tax rate of 90%? Decades. Corporate taxes have been slashed and slashed again since the 80's, so we're obviously nowhere close to max taxation. Perhaps your share of taxes is higher than it's ever been. Doesn't mean taxes are the problem. I'd say where the taxes fall is the problem.
Similarly, government 'bailouts' aren't the problem, it's where the money goes that's the problem. We just bailed out the stock market when we should have provided economic security to common folk, (those without big stock portfolios).