My world is topsy-turvy

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

My world is topsy-turvy

Post by balzaccom »

On Tuesday morning I mentioned to my wife that i felt a little dizzy, and eventually called into my doctor for a video call visit. I talked with him through some diagnoses and left it at that. It wasn't a massive concern, I didn't feel terrible, and the quick set of diagnostic exercises and existing symptoms seemed to eliminate the more serious potential causes and concerns.

Fast forward to 4 a.m. Wednesday morning. I get up and realize that I can barely walk--and then only by holding onto the walls while I do so. I begin vomiting almost continuous every thirty to forty-five minutes, and if I open my eyes, the world is jumping around completely out of control. And I almost never vomit--if that's not TMI.

We call the emergency advice nurse at 6:30, who calls in a couple of prescriptions. And by 9:30 we know that there is no way for me to keep those in my stomach. Another call for help, and this time we are directed immediately to 911.

We live only two blocks from the fire station, so I can literally hear the sirens going off before my wife finishes up on the call. They are here within seconds, and now confront the challenge of getting me down the twisting stairs of our old Victorian house. Which they did, all the while wearing masks and asking me about Covid19 symptoms (none.)

I am disappointed to note that they did not turn on the sirens on the way to the hospital.

Once there I am immediately given an IV and rushed into an MRI to determine if had a stroke. Meanwhile, they are trying to replace some of my fluids, and also get some motion sickness medication and anti-nausea drugs into my system.

By late that afternoon the MRI has revealed no evidence of a stroke. But i am still unable to move or open m eyes without the world going haywire. More drugs.

The next morning I am significantly improved. I get another consultation with a doctor, and then a session with a remarkable physical therapist who eliminated one thing after another until she announced that it was a problem in my left (!) ear.

--Great backpacking connection here: her dad is about my age, loves to backpack, and when his wife can't join him he does trail crew work to get out in the mountains. As do I--

The good news is that I am now home, and can more or less take care of myself, with the enormous help of my loving wife. And I didn't have a stroke.

Bad news is that I am still suffering from serious vertigo. When I sit still, the whole world slowly revolves to the right, which is quite disconcerting. I can walk, but I have to pay attention to every step. And if I turn my head quickly, all bets are off.

That takes some getting used to.

Yesterday we went for a walk for about 40 minutes. I survived, but I can't really say that it felt great. And apparently, there is no immediate prognosis for quick recovery. These things take time, and it could be days, weeks or even months.

Which not only makes the world look like it is moving a bit more than I should expect, but also that any plans for this summer might well be on hold--vertical or horizontal.

Here's hoping your summer looks better.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: My world is topsy-turvy

Post by rlown »

A friend of mine had it at work; ambulance had to take him.. I've had it, and fell over many times in the dark. Added a night light for orientation. Glad you feel a little better. Also good you weren't on a boat when it hit you.

Very happy it wasn't a stroke!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

What a terrifying experience. Best wishes for recovery. Having a loving wife definitely helps one get through the long road back.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

This is bad news Paul, but hopefully it will resolve quickly. I looked up inner ear disease and vertigo, and found things that I'm sure you know of by now, but what have you learned about your condition? Is it perhaps the BPPV-- canalith deposits in the inner ear? I read that though it might take awhile, the brain can readjust to the new state of the inner ear, and compensate just fine, and you may end up better than ever?! That is all of our hopes at least.

On WebMD, I read the following re. another condition: "Vestibular neuritis or labyrinthitis. This is an inner ear problem usually related to infection (usually viral). The infection causes inflammation in the inner ear around nerves that are important for helping the body sense balance."
For some, treatment is needed and may include:

Vestibular rehabilitation. This is a type of physical therapy aimed at helping strengthen the vestibular system. The function of the vestibular system is to send signals to the brain about head and body movements relative to gravity.
Did they send you home with a PT regimen? We wish you the best of luck with this challenge Paul, Ian and Lizzie.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun May 03, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Paul -
So sorry to hear about this! Wishing you good luck on getting some sort of resolution for your condition ... and hoping it doesn't involve abstaining from wine :crybaby:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

This will sound strange, but just spin your head when in a sitting position. Solves the problem in two days. Moves the fluid. Screw PT.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

For all the medicines we have in this world, time is often the best healer so here is hoping it works wonders for you as well.

Hope you feel better soon!

Pretty amazing that PT was able to pin point the issue to the left middle ear.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

rlown writes:
... I've had it, and fell over many times in the dark. Added a night light for orientation...
and put away the bottle of bourbon. ;)
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It isn't funny. It is a very disorienting feeling. Even laying down and moving your head to one side and it takes time for your brain to figure that shift out, it can make you queasy.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

Glad to hear that your okay. Mostly.
I had it in the motel room we were staying in the morning we were supposed to go up the Palm Springs Tram. My wife had to drive us home. This is what helped me.