Corona Virus

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Corona Virus

Post by LMBSGV »

I am curious. How many of you think, that after the dust settles, our society will make significant and actual changes in behavior? I read a lot of articles that state this that state that this will be an opportunity to re-think how we live and impact the earth and the cons as well as pros of globalization. Perhaps it is my pessimistic side, but I think people are creatures of habit and will go right back to idiotic shopping as recreation, over-consumerism, polluting the air, destroying the planet, if that was their habit before, and those who are live more sustainably, will continue. I think we have an economic and political system that is based on growth and consumption at any cost and far too many see nothing wrong with that.

By the way, as in introvert, I would be incredibly happy if hand shaking and hugging of strangers totally stopped. Being on a cruise ship with 3000 other people causes sheer social panic! And eating out sitting right next to complete strangers in a noisy setting is another activity I would rather not do anyway. Very uncharitably, I will admit; I get a chuckle out of the "pain" extroverts now feel, after years of them judging me as abnormal.
Exactly my feelings. I think it's a dominant evolutionary trait to seek to destroy wild nature and it's a minority of introverts who want to proceed differently. And my wife is the one person I really want to hug.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I killed any corona virus in my body today, stuck my SteriPen, which uses ultraviolet light, into my nostrils, flushed my sinuses, and gargled with some bleach! :lol: :\
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

You forgot to inject Lysol.. :derp:
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

rayfound wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:34 am The mask is to protect the infection chain downstream of me, should I become infected.
Bingo! I've been wondering if anyone would state this. It seems people think they are protected by wearing a mask. Not the type of mask almost everyone is wearing. Those masks are designed to keep any infectious agents that you are carrying in you. To keep you from spreading a virus that you potentially have.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

rlown wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:33 pm Well, The virus sure makes a vet visit more interesting. Took 24 hrs to get a vet for Simba. Lobby was locked. Vet meets you on the walkway and takes your dog in. All payments and vet reviews happen through a window. Yes, I had a mask but it isn't required so wasn't worn.

Seems the Covid hasn't stopped horse artificial insemination day. Dr. Hunter was busy. No mask.

Simba has his meds so all is well.
I don't know what type of climate you live in, but where I live 100+ F is the norm in June, July, and August. This wait in your car BS is no different than telling people don't bring your animal in because it will just die in the parking lot instead of at home.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It is April. It was 89ish. Not sure what your point was. My location is listed. My point is people are too afraid.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Anybody see the statements by the head of the CoVid-19 Task Force (because everything needs a special task force, committee, etc.), she said that they are recommending that the social distancing measures remain through the summer (and, obviously next winter). So much for hiking, biking, fishing, etc in 2020, unless you want to break the law. I think it's clear from the last 5 weeks that no California County Health Officers will be allowing campgrounds, NPS stations, etc to open under those conditions. I also heard from my mom in Idaho that while the governor is relaxing the shelter in place order - aka quarantine- but the county where she lives has already stated it will stay in place at least through the end of May. My point being that the ultimate decision to lift a quarantine is with the county health officer and as long as people are afraid or treating this like a paid vacation, there will be too little political push for that county health officer to lift the quarantine.
By the way, in California with the $600 per week unemployment bonus, it IS a paid vacation, or even better, for anyone who was making less than about $30 per hour who was laid off due to the virus.
Last edited by Lumbergh21 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

rlown wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:11 pm It is April. It was 89ish. Not sure what your point was. My location is listed. My point is people are too afraid.
I thought my point was clear. Let me try again. There are many places where waiting outside in your car, as they are requiring at vet offices now, will result in the animals dieing due to the high temperatures. And, I think that is BS.

To add a solution for crowded waiting rooms that doesn't involve increasingthe death rate of the animals, if the vets would schedule realistically, there wouldn't be so many people waiting to bring their pets in for care, and there wouldn't be crowded waiting rooms.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

maverick wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:04 pm I killed any corona virus in my body today, stuck my SteriPen, which uses ultraviolet light, into my nostrils, flushed my sinuses, and gargled with some bleach! :lol: :\
Ouch!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Simba had a skin infection. I needed it debrided and some current antibiotics. It took 24 hrs to get him an in person appointment. Dog comes first!
I have a foot issue and I can't get an appointment. Lucky Dog!

Hence, I pushed my trip to late September. The drama is too intense for the virus. Actually no reason to focus on it. Worse things to die from.

Waiting outside your car because you/they are scared is really stupid.