Corona Virus

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Corona Virus

Post by bobby49 »

Groups of backpackers often have poor hygiene, so the same bugs get passed around and around. This is especially true if they are sharing shelter, sharing cookgear, etc.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Well, we are now closed till April 15th.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

My wife and I just received an email from Recreation.gov cancelling our overnight to Pt. Reyes and providing a refund. Here's the pertinent part:
A location closure has been issued for Point Reyes National Seashore Campground from Tue, Mar 17, 2020 - Tue, Apr 7, 2020 due to Public Safety Concerns .
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
cahiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cahiker »

I was wondering when parks would start curtailing outdoor activities. The shelter in place order for the Bay Area counties says we are allowed to go outside for activities like walking, running, or hiking, but I guess camping isn't considered essential, and the restrooms could also be a sticky point.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Yes, I have a camping reservation for the Marin Headlands for April 19 and suspect there is a good chance it will be cancelled. Our Bay Area "shelter in place" order is currently only until April 7, but I think it is highly likely it will be extended in some form.

I think this virus is going to lead to fewer PCT thru-hikers this year. They usually start in April (some fast ones in early May). All the international hikers are going to find it impossible to get here by then, and much domestic air travel may also be interrupted.

-Phil
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

wildhiker wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:42 pm I think this virus is going to lead to fewer PCT thru-hikers this year. They usually start in April (some fast ones in early May). All the international hikers are going to find it impossible to get here by then, and much domestic air travel may also be interrupted.
-Phil
I follow a PCT forum and there is a lot of sadness from the international hikers who have planned for their PCT hike, quit their jobs, sold their apartments, etc. Now they can't come to the US. I'm really sorry for them.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

on Aramark's Yosemite Website

UPDATED: March 16, 2020 @ 6:05 PM (PST)
As a result of guidance provided by the National Park Service and public health officials, all lodging, tours and dining facilities in Yosemite National Park are temporarily closing as of tomorrow March 17, 2020. The temporary closure is prompted as a precaution due to coronavirus concerns. The closure is anticipated to last through March 31, 2020.

The health and safety of Yosemite National Park visitors and park employees is the park’s top priority. We are working closely with public health officials and the park will continue to review operations and reopen facilities when appropriate.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I hate to say it but I've been taking advantage of the virus. I'm moving from Petaluma to Wilton and the traffic on Highway 37 and I80 has been to my advantage when moving loads of stuff. A trip that usually takes 2.5-3 hrs is now around 2 hours.

Went to a couple of restaurants that are still open (probably not now) and they were mostly empty and the service was great.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

People are losing their minds with this shelter in place order. I don't mind avoiding restaurants, gatherings, ect. But once the government tells me I can't drive alone in my car, I've got a (recently washed with warm soapy water) middle finger for them.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Per your Pt Reyes, cancellation, that probably is a wise order because those are designated campsites where people would be touching objects of those that were there the previous day including the onsite restrooms.

As of today, Tuesday 3/17/2020, the 7 country San Francisco Bay Area is under a "shelter in place order", as has made national news. I live in Santa Clara Country that has the most confirmed cases in the state, though yesterday afternoon streets in my urban area looked like any other during a walk late afternoon. The following link of the text of that order is worth reading as it is a quite well thought out and comprehensive, that should encourage others across the nation to move forward so if their situation might require such. I have read news comments on that order on some national news sites that are overrun by usual small hateful minds, especially those with political agendas, so will hope this lands on better part of our humanity.

Very importantly the order does allow going outside in our fresh air as long as one keeps proper 6'+ distances from others not of one's own households. And this person plans to do so mid day to urban street walking while listening to earbud music.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/16/ ... nties/amp/

10. Definitions and Exemptions.
iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running.