Corona Virus

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Corona Virus

Post by balzaccom »

I don't think that we should use the term "panic" to describe people who buy up all the face masks or TP in their local store, or empty the shelves of basic staples. That's not panic; that's greed and a complete lack of social responsibility. It's no wonder that we have trouble with the idea of limiting our carbon footprint, when so many people seem to think that as long as they get theirs, the rest of the world can go to Hades.

Meanwhile both schools where I teach have cancelled classes for three weeks. I feel sorry for my students, some of whom have taken a very specific leave of absence from their work or normal lives to get more education and advance their careers...And now that is on hold. I am working with small groups of students to organize their classes via on-line education, in the hopes of helping them along. Don't know if that will be approved by the schools...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:17 pm Also doubt water is going to be shut off; forget the bottled water and turn on your faucet.
THIS
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

balzaccom wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:47 am I don't think that we should use the term "panic" to describe people who buy up all the face masks or TP in their local store, or empty the shelves of basic staples. That's not panic; that's greed and a complete lack of social responsibility.
I worked at a Costco leading up to Y2K. Wasn't as bad, but a glimpse into what I believe is coming...major return lines in about a month. And at Costco it won't just be TP. People will return spoiled food goods as well due to a generous return policy, just like what happened post Y2K.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Just received this email, presumably because I'm listed as an emergency contact for my parents whom are in Morocco.
Security Alert – U.S. Consulate General Casablanca, Morocco

March 14, 2020

Event: The Department of State has advised U.S. citizens to reconsider travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19. For more information, see the Department’s Global Health Advisory.

To contain the spread of COVID-19, the Government of Morocco has cancelled most flights between Morocco and European cities. Morocco has suspended all flights to Algeria, Belgium, China, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain. Passenger ferry services are also suspended. In addition, the land borders with Ceuta and Melilla are closed.

Travelers should be prepared for additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens expecting to return soon to the United States are strongly advised to consult their airline as soon as possible for alternate routes home.

Actions to Take:

Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Morocco.
Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Schools should be part of the solution, not the problem. Authorities who shut down schools (perhaps they have never been a full-time parent of small children nor a lower income single mom) seem to be oblivious to how essential schools have become as a social support to lower income families and single parents. Suggesting that a single mom, work remotely (if she has a job where that is even possible) while schooling her kids remotely at the same time, is unrealistic if not impossible. Guess who is going to be taking care of kids at home while Mom works?- Grandma, just the person who IS vulnerable. Why not keep the kids in school, use it as a "teaching moment" showing and practicing how to mitigate spreading germs. Then isolate the vulnerable, not the healthy. The craziest thing is that while schools are shut down, our dear Mayor of Sacramento, is going to eliminate downtown parking fees to encourage people to eat out (so these small businesses stay afloat)! Eating out is EXACTLY what will spread the virus.

Way too much knee-jerk reaction so far. For all the disruption caused, I doubt closing schools is going to help much.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:19 am Authorities who shut down schools (perhaps they have never been a full-time parent of small children nor a lower income single mom) seem to be oblivious to how essential schools have become as a social support to lower income families and single parents. Suggesting that a single mom, work remotely (if she has a job where that is even possible) while schooling her kids remotely at the same time, is unrealistic if not impossible. Guess who is going to be taking care of kids at home while Mom works?- Grandma, just the person who IS vulnerable.
Talking with a low-income single mom friend of ours (also a full-time student at Fresno State) whom fits that description, she relies on the district provided school breakfasts and lunches. The school (Clovis Unified) says they're going to figure something out, but I can't for the life of me come up with a way they're going to accomplish that such that it works for parents in her position.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Following other school districts here around Fresno, my school district will be shutting down on Tuesday until April 13. I still have to show up on Tue and Wed to create lesson plans and be told what the plan going forward might be. To help out students, starting Wed, students can come by our school to pick up free breakfast and lunch.

Going to be an interesting next few weeks :confused:
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Snowtrout wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:39 am Following other school districts here around Fresno, my school district will be shutting down on Tuesday until April 13. I still have to show up on Tue and Wed to create lesson plans and be told what the plan going forward might be. To help out students, starting Wed, students can come by our school to pick up free breakfast and lunch.

Going to be an interesting next few weeks :confused:
Good info. Thanks! Are you able to share if they're going to be picking up daily meals, or multi-day? Pick up times? How it's going to be organized? Car pick up? Seems to defeat the purpose if parents are going to have to walk up in mass and line up to pick up food? Multi-day seems more practical to me, but perhaps I'm missing a better idea.

EDIT: I don't envy the tall task you all have in front of you, snowtrout! We all know you're doing your best.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Eric, this is all I know right now.

Email I received:
During our school closure, all students including any children under the age of 18 will be able to pick up packaged lunch, and breakfast for the following day. This will begin Wednesday, March 18 and continue every subsequent Monday through Friday at each school site through the entirety of the school closures. The times for meal distribution at the school sites are yet to be determined and information will be coming soon. All staff should report to work based on their normal schedule and will be provided more details by their supervisor.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

News story today of one of these inconsiderate greedy small ebay sellers that drove around through several states methodically cleaning out all hand cleaner supplies and then trying to sell them on ebay and amazon with huge mark-ups. At this point he can't sell any and he has made large numbers of people in those states extremely pi$$ed off. As I wrote in my above post, the same thing has happened here in California as I witnessed earlier this week before panic began.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/17-700-bottl ... 35689.html