Corona Virus

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Corona Virus

Post by ERIC »

Just got back from Costco. Place was a zoo. No TP. Meat section was empty.

My 80 year old parents are on a one month vacation in Morocco. They fly in and out of Madrid, scheduled to return at the end of the month. Also, my bro-in-law and his family are/were at Disneyland through today. My sister-in-law has a pre-existing health issue that has us a little worried.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Offering to anyone in the SF Bay Area, or beyond, who needs TP, I can get you 40 rolls of 2 ply Scott's for $33, no extra charge, this is how much I get it for, but you will have to come to my work to pick it up, and pay cash.
I don't know how much inventory is available, if conditions get worse, as they are expected to, others vendors using my supplier will be doing the same, and the their inventory will be gone quickly, they could also put a limit on how many each company can buy, so let me know by PM-ing me.
May be able to help with food items too. :)
We have to help each other in times like this, especially if we have the means. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

maverick wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:19 pm Offering to anyone in the SF Bay Area, or beyond, who needs TP, I can get you 40 rolls of 2 ply Scott's for $33, no extra charge, this is how much I get it for, but you will have to come to my work to pick it up, and pay cash.
I don't know how much inventory is available, if conditions get worse, as they are expected to, others vendors using my supplier will be doing the same, and the their inventory will be gone quickly, they could also put a limit on how many each company can buy, so let me know by PM-ing me.
May be able to help with food items too. :)
We have to help each other in times like this, especially if we have the means. :)
Is that part of your special gear deal, mav? lol
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Is that part of your special gear deal, mav? lol
:lol:
Nope, just offering to help. :p

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Generous offer, but sorry, I really do not understand the TP thing. I bet half the world population does not even use TP. Have we become so over-civilized that we do not even know how to survive without TP? A little squirt-bottle and a few washcloths. I am transitioning to TP-free when backpacking. Also doubt water is going to be shut off; forget the bottled water and turn on your faucet. Between being prepared for earthquakes, fires, and power outages, we should already have most needed supplies for the current problem.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Have we become so over-civilized that we do not even know how to survive without TP?
Long time ago, have become soft.
Between being prepared for earthquakes, fires, and power outages, we should already have most needed supplies for the current problem.
Highly doubt that most people are, we live in a society where people don't believe it will happen to them, or that they will deal with it when it happens, which is what we are seeing now, and will be for the next several weeks. :(

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Closure extended till after Easter, talk about possible closure for the rest of this school year. :eek:

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Other than the madness at the grocery stores........
I have several weeks supply of freeze dried food for my family if it really gets bad, but I'm hesitant at this time to break into it, so it's pizza tonight. I'll try the grocery store tomorrow. It does show how completely unprepared our society is for major disturbances in society. Somebody asked me if I was stocked up on TP. I told them shelter, food and water. TP was not high on my list. In fact ammo was higher because we're only 12 meals away from anarchy. Now, I'm thinking that is very generous. It seems it only takes one roll of TP.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just talked to my oldest daughter. They had a 2-week family vacation planned for Japan, but cancelled that, with a big loss because they could not get more than half there money back. Then they planned a trip to Santa Barbara, driving, with the two kids. Both my daughter and her husband are doctors. Their hospital informed them that California was on a "bad" list of states, and if they went to California, they would have to be quarantined 14 days when they got back, with NO pay. So that trip fell through. They then decided to do road trip to Arizona. They have a severely disabled daughter in a residential care/school in Pennsylvania and received a call just as they were on the road out of Durango, that her school was closing down and they had to pick her up ASAP. So one of them will fly to Pennsylvania from Phoenix to pick her up. What a mess! If only toilet paper were the only worry. My other daughter is a teacher and the school she works at and one of her kids attends closed. The school where her other kid goes is still open. All the kids after school activities and sports have been cancelled. She still has to "teach" remotely a few hours a day as well as her son has to do "remote" schooling. She has decided it is easier to just home school both kids to ride this out. The young working families with kids are taking a bit hit with all the closures.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/s ... y/2254293/

Amazing what a few days of coronavirus news this week in our nation did to make so many people suddenly PANIC. A modest number of people had started early in our region after apparent social media stories of panic buying in the East the previous week. Monday I decided from growing news stories that bigger shocks were sure to come so went to San Jose's largest Walmart and found hand wipes and isopropyl alcohol had just been scoured out during the previous weekend days while groups of middle aged women were moving around in a caravan with bulging carts of A to Z products. It is well known that some rural stores owners stock up on supplies for their stores from urban Walmart, Target, and Cosco. Some were obviously being bought up throughout the region by small time ebay sellers looking to make a killing that were then selling those items for huge 10x 20x markups. I got one of the last gallon containers of aloe vera for a cheap $6 that can be used with isopropyl alcohol to make hand cleaner and 8 pounds of rice. But a half dozen drug and supermarket stores later could see that the previous week's bulk buyers had methodically cleaned out the areas stores of isopropyl alcohol. Note industrial companies like electronic work also needs isopropyl alcohol for cleaning so no doubt some of them also saw it coming. I do have 18 ounces at home but could use a gallon. Otherwise I have enough food to easily last a couple months as I normally do due to earthquake disaster possibilities.

https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/arti ... 129617.php

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ny-anxious