Some pictures of the Big Pine fire

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Baffman
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Some pictures of the Big Pine fire

Post by Baffman »

My brother is on the Big Pine Fire Dept. and took a few shots last night. He put in 19 hours and will surely be back out there today.

http://picasaweb.google.com/RobBaffrey/BigPineFire
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you for the photos. I got to work on a fuel truck for one day at a fire on the Plumas quite a few years ago for my employer. Running into town now to see what all the smoke is about, can't be from the Antelope fire that is too far away. I heard a plane circling around for a couple minutes before I could make it out and now there is smoke in the neighborhood that you can see a couple houses down. Something going on, heard a helicopter too, water drops?
Piece of cake.
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

We were heading to Bishop (South Lake) when the Highway Patrol closed 395. They turned us around just north of Independence...we could see the wind blowing huge flames across the road in the distance...so it was a good call.
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

A few pics of the fire from 395...

Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

The sun looked weird through all of that smoke.

Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Those are great pictures. I'm sure saddened to see all this, but it could always be worse. Here is yet another link with some great pictures. Their is a nice shot of the Mt. Whitney Hatchery with flames behind it.

http://www.sierravisionsstock.com/sierr ... lex-fires/