Tahoe butterfly explosion

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Tahoe butterfly explosion

Post by SSSdave »

When I drove out from the Glen Alpine Creek trailhead at Fallen Leaf Lake near Lake Tahoe Saturday afternoon, myriad orange and black hued California tortoiseshell butterflies were everywhere along the road, especially at the east end of the lake. Large numbers had crashed into cars and were scattered atop the road. I wondered if it was an annual phenomenon I had simply not been around to witness in the past or unique to this summer.

https://southtahoenow.com/story/08/01/2 ... l-eruption

Earlier this spring in March while I was working wildflower fields in Joshua Tree National Park there were myriad painted lady butterflies, also orange and black, especially in the Palm Springs region.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/en ... 032888002/

All these butterflies are a good sign as during recent decades butterfly and moth numbers in parts of California for some species have crashed in part due to habitat destruction. But the current news shows much is also dependent on rainfall and vegetation cycles.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tahoe butterfly explosion

Post by dave54 »

They are also pretty thick in the Almanor area. A good year for them. They breed on Ceanothus and ravens are their largest predator.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Tahoe butterfly explosion

Post by TahoeJeff »

SSSdave wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:00 am myriad orange and black hued California tortoiseshell butterflies were everywhere

Yep, they were still out thick this past weekend.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman