Can anyone confirm or deny this story?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Can anyone confirm or deny this story?

Post by sparky »

Saw this on another forum. Can anyone confirm this? It sounds like it is a made up story.

» Sixtwentytwo94 • Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:06 pm IP
Had one trot past me at night walking on a asphalt trail in Yosemite. It was a full moon and the whole valley was a bright blue and you could see everything. It actually brushed me as it passed by. Then it stopped about 10 yards ahead of me and turned around to face me. Then a man ran up next to me and said "woah, been comin' here 25 years and never seen one". Then it turned around and trotted off. The guy next to me grabbed my arm and started running after it saying, 'come on'. So I followed.

We lost it but heard a hell of a commotion coming from further down the trail so we ran to where the screaming and noises were coming from. When we got there about 10 people had it trapped between a tent and a van beating on pots and pans to scare it.

It got really pissed off and ran straight at one of the guys beating a pot and jumped up at him and knocked him flat onto his back and then it ran off into a field of tall grass bounding like a dear over through it.

A ranger with a rifle and a scope came of next to me but couldn't get a good shot at it. I asked if it was live ammo, and he said "yes, we have to kill this lion. It's hunting down here and it's not scared of people. Someone is going to get killed."
dave54
Founding Member

Re: Can anyone confirm or deny this story?

Post by dave54 »

I have heard variations of the same story with locations all different over the last thirty years.
Maybe based on a real event, or it really happened recently. I don't know, but elements of the story are old.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

I had a mountain lion run through my campsite one evening outside Sun Valley, Idaho this summer. It was chasing something in the bushes. Probably the last thing I expected to see in real life. Had heard something walking at night on the hill behind me for a few nights while camped, figured it was a deer. Obviously not.

This one was big and moving like a rocket after whatever it was chasing. I heard a scream soon after, so I presume he caught what he was after.

Talked to a local ranger, he said he had never seen one in real life, even after 10 years near Sun Valley. Guess I got real lucky to see one in the flesh. Quite an exciting moment. I've never met anyone else who's actually seen one in action.

John
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

All the while, I thought I was being pulled into a Bigfoot story.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Jimr wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:34 pm All the while, I thought I was being pulled into a Bigfoot story.
X2
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I was thinking the same thing! :-)

Who knows if this specific story from an unnamed source on some random web forum is accurate, but there are certainly plenty of mountain lions out there. I haven't seen one but I know a number of people who have, including in plain view in Yosemite Valley. And while fortunately unusual mountain lions have been aggressive toward people at times.

This is kind of a change of subject, but someone recently climbed the California 14ers in about one week using a bicycle to connect the dots. It's a pretty good story. Anyway, returning from White Mountain, he rode his mountain bike downhill at 40 MPH past a mountain lion, startling the cat so that it froze in place.

http://ryantetz.com/blog/2018/9/9/calif ... known-time
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I figured if this actually happened word would about it would certainly get around.

You want a bigfoot story? Heres one:

About a thousand years ago I was descending Kaweah Pass, and that big talus was real lose. I basically log rolled a house size boulder 200' down the slope. I jumped off at the last second and into a pocket under the talus. I then had to navigate through a maze between up and over and under the talus. Suddenly a bigfoot popped out! He showed me the way out, and I gave him some almonds.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

No sasquatch, but I did run into his younger sister Little Toe.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
tarbuckle
Topix Acquainted

Post by tarbuckle »

TahoeJeff wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:52 pm
Jimr wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:34 pm All the while, I thought I was being pulled into a Bigfoot story.
X2
X3
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

sparky wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:02 pm I figured if this actually happened word would about it would certainly get around.

You want a bigfoot story? Heres one:

About a thousand years ago I was descending Kaweah Pass, and that big talus was real lose. I basically log rolled a house size boulder 200' down the slope. I jumped off at the last second and into a pocket under the talus. I then had to navigate through a maze between up and over and under the talus. Suddenly a bigfoot popped out! He showed me the way out, and I gave him some almonds.
I thought they lived on Jack's Links jerky?

John