Help finding a forever home for an 8 mo old Alaskan Malamute

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
psykokid
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Help finding a forever home for an 8 mo old Alaskan Malamute

Post by psykokid »

This is sort of a long shot but here goes nothing:

We've got an 8 month old Alaskan Malamute that we recently adopted from a family that was getting ready to turn him into the local high kill shelter. At first he was indifferent to the wife's cats, but it seems like a switch has tripped and when they scurry about it's triggered his prey drive in the last week. We're keeping them separate but from talking to some very knowledgeable Malamute owners it's not a matter of if but when things will go pear shaped and he ends up hurting or killing one of them. My wife rescued them as tiny kittens and bottle fed them after the feral mom had abandoned them. That being said we sadly need to re-home him :(

Smart dog, lots of energy. He gets along well with our 9 year old lab/dane mix, other than when he's just being an annoying puppy. He's become my running buddy and does great on a lead and is taking to training very well. I was working with him so he could be my cool weather hiking buddy :( He would need to go to a home with no small animals. The high prey drive is just part of the breed apparently. He's about 80 lbs currently and unaltered. From everyone in the know with Malamutes we've spoken to they recommend holding off until he's two years old to have him neutered so that he has a chance to fully grow. Waiting until the two year mark apparently helps a lot with mitigating factors that contribute to hip displasya and other things that affect the breed.

If anyone is looking or know of someone that could provide Koda with a good forever home please let me know. Located in Socal, but willing to make the drive and help bring him to the right family.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Help finding a forever home for an 8 mo old Alaskan Malamute

Post by rlown »

I wish you and Koda the best of luck. Simba doesn't like cats either. You're right about that switch. I've watched several dogs change mentally every 3-6 months.

You could try and work with this group to find him a good home: https://www.alaskanmalamuterescue.com/
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

rlown wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:56 pm I wish you and Koda the best of luck. Simba doesn't like cats either. You're right about that switch. I've watched several dogs change mentally every 3-6 months.

You could try and work with this group to find him a good home: https://www.alaskanmalamuterescue.com/
Thanks, we've already reached out to them and a few other Malamute groups to see if we can find Koda a home.

The group in Simi Valley is currently working on trying to find homes for 22 pups that were rescued from a puppy mill up near Chico last April so they have their hands full at the moment.

Breaks my heart because he is such a sweet dog and were it not for the cat issue there would be no problem at all. We're glad that we were able to save him from going into the shelter system and will foster him until we can find him a permanent home.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

training collar? I got one for Simba. I had one for Sam but it died. It does vibrate, sound,and nick. Attack the cat and there's a nick.
they calm down with the training collar on. Cats and dogs still need to be separated until they get along. Not everything works out well from time to time.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The main reason I referred to rescue site was that they generally have foster families that will take pets until adopted.
We got Simba through the Golden Gate Lab Rescue organization. He was taken in, and placed with a foster family (also a trainer.)
They also advertise more broadly the dogs available. I was watching the GGLR site for a year after Bubba passed. It is amazing the number of dogs that need a home. GGLR told me that Simba was aggressive. Not sure what that means, given he doesn't jump on people, doesn't lick people to death.

If they can help find a foster home and advertise Koda, that would be a most excellent outcome.
(personally, I would get rid of the cats first, but that's just me) :)