Ocean water temperatures off San Diego break all time records (article)

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Ocean water temperatures off San Diego break all time records (article)

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Well since we are already way off topic.
@Freestone...I lived in HB for a few years and my grandparents lived there their whole lives. I knew it wouldn't be the summer bathtub, but am hoping that it stays mid 60's. I mostly body surf (don't have a board anymore, not that I was that good on one anyway) so it's harder to stay out long much below that.

Still even in the low 60's it beats anything north of SB.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

I'm sorry I did not read this whole thread. I went surfing this mourning for the first time in over 30 years. Of course, I took some BOY Scouts to learn how to do it. Anyway, the water is at a record high this year, 74-75 deg. at Dockwiller Beach. (Right under the LA Airport) It's been crazy here. I Chartered a Sportfishing Boat on Friday, for 24 people and the fishing or catching was extremely slow at Catalina Island. Maybe due to the water temperature and the insane amount of seals. The warm water kills the kelp, but, a friend caught a 240lb Bluefin Tuna and two more above the 150lb yesterday out of San Diego. I'll be expecting major fog this winter, maybe like the Tule Fog.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I'm heading up to the Bay area next weekend. I was talking to my mom, and she mentioned the night's have been falling into the high 50s. I realized I haven't experienced one minute of temps below 60 degrees since May.

The killer down here is we don't have a/c - we're completely dependent on sea breezes. The problem is, if the ocean water temp is 72+-, in the absence of external weather factors (ie normal summer doldrums) how cold can it get at night? The answer: 72+-

While the highs warm up to the upper 70s, the temps don't fall. As a result, our house never gets a chance to recover, staying in the 74-80 range (with every possible window/door open). In this situation, a fan doesn't work either, because the outside temp is basically the same.

The only real solution is an a/c unit, which we've debated and held off purchasing over a few years. Finally, the last heat wave (that coincided with all the fire activities) pushed me over the edge, so I broke down and bought a small portable a/c unit for our bedroom.

We use it to cool off the bedroom in the afternoon, and re-open the windows during the night. But we won't resume comfortable air temps until the water gets back to the upper 60s presumably by Oct.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

When I moved from San Diego to the Bay Area I really missed the ocean. I live a few miles from the water but I've only been in it about three times in the last 25 years. But this summer I really appreciate the cold water. San Francisco and surrounding coastal areas are pretty much the only lower elevation places in California that have been relatively cool at night this summer. The nights seem to have been getting warmer in recent years but the natural A/C is still working... for now.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Hanging at gaviota. Empty - 5 other spots taken, self serve. Maybe big sur tomorrow.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

With the jetstream dip moving first troughs through in the northwest over the last week plus, the California coast areas had more fog and stratus. That has cooled water temperatures about 4F degrees. Santa Barbara water dropped from 72F to 68F so am backing off on a road trip unless it rises up some again. This next week shows more sunny weather with higher temps.

https://www.surfline.com/surf-charts/re ... 4c44878fd6

Yesterday, Wednesday, was the first day in about 3 weeks without fog along our coast into mid day, so I drove the 30 miles down to Santa Cruz, did a walk up and down the main drag along Pacific Avenue in 75F temps checking out what that is looking like this summer, then spent 90 minutes working on my tan walking around on sand in trunks, hat, cool sunglasses, and earbuds at the beach. City has really clamped down on all the old secret places to avoid the street parking meters and there seems to be a lot more of those metermaid minicabs zipping around nailing the unfortunate prey. Just might do a repeat this afternoon.