try to avoid disturbing your family back home

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: try to avoid disturbing your family back home

Post by mrphil » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:29 pm

I know that dog rescues aren't all that uncommon, but I think it's mostly going to come down to mandates, equipment, and available resources in any given area. I've heard that most of the time the dog will self-rescue or the owner will provide medical care and transport out before SAR gets there, so that's always the first line that they hope to rely on, but I also know that they realize and take seriously that pets are family. I would imagine that life and death extractions are where they would get involved, as opposed to just basic injuries that would force you to carry your dog. It's worth a phone call. You should probably also check his insurance policy to see if it covers helicopter rides.

In this same vein, what's really interesting and neat is that they recently changed the law that made a first-responder giving mouth to mouth to a cat or dog illegal, and subject to a fine and jail. They did what they had to do to save a life, any life, and that counts for a lot.

You might enjoy this:

https://www.oregonhumane.org/oregon-hum ... am-forest/

rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: try to avoid disturbing your family back home

Post by rlown » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Helicopter rides are free. Vet bills (like us) are not. He's covered.