I find stuff

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I find stuff

Post by windknot »

I found an entire packed tent along a trail once. About half an hour earlier I had run into a couple of hikers coming the opposite direction who asked me to keep an eye out for a tent. It seemed that another pair of backpackers further up the trail had realized that the tent that they could have sworn they had packed was missing, and now they were heading into the late afternoon on a crisp September day above 10,000 feet trying to figure out what to do. In the meantime, they were asking everybody who passed by if they had happened to spot a tent.

I'm not sure how I later "found" the tent right alongside the trail considering the hikers who had alerted me to it had walked right by it without seeing it, but I did indeed spot it and deliver it to a pair of very grateful backpackers about a quarter mile further up.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

At least you didn't have to carry that extra weight very far.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

I found a Honda generator in the middle of a FS road a few years ago near Obsidian Dome. Stopped at several campsites and inquired about ownership. Left my business card with a few I talked to. About 3 days later I got a phone call from some "tweeker" looking guy in a van. He'd driven off and totally forgot about it, duh. I was on my way home so I waited for him in Big Pine to drive down from Mammoth. Of course, he wasn't even that grateful about it, first accused me of stealing it over the phone. I set him straight real quick.

John
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

I find stuff that is not mine, such as a wallet, a purse, another purse that belonged to my good friend, all returned. I never look to see how much money is in there, I'm just looking for the owner's address. My first thought about finding something, is lucky thing, I will find the owner. I have been acquiring a lot of camping and fishing stuff from friends, due to the parents and Aunts and Uncle passing. This generation of people have no fishing skills, so, I gave some of my Scouts some fishing gear.

I just want to say "Thank You" to those that find stuff and it's returned. (I sure don't want any of your stuff !!!)
Robo_Hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Robo_Hiker »

This may seem a little farfetched, but has anybody found a fully loaded pack? I happen to know of one somewhere around little Brewer Lake. Guy lost it along with prescription glasses in early August of this year. Ranger Cindy and the trail crew have been looking for it ever since. If you are going cross country up there and happen upon it, please log coordinates and report it's location to the rangers. I met the guy that lost it and know he would be very grateful to have it back.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

How does one lose a pack??
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

rlown wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 pm How does one lose a pack??
Ha! Right?

I once found an abandoned pack between Gem and Agnew Lakes on a day hike in mid-October 2016. The owner left a note dated a few months prior stating they'd be coming back for it, but no contact info at all. Based on the gear left, I think it was a novice packer who decided they couldn't carry it any more. Unfortunately, they had left their trash in the pack and critters had spread it everywhere, including a lot of used TP. I collected it all, carried it out, and dumped everything except a couple cans of iso-butane. I figured they were never coming back for it and the snow was just days away.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The first pic on my camera is a snapshot of my Outlook contact info. My phone number is put on the side of the camera with a sharpie (it does wear off every season.)

My Bearikade has my phone number (in sharpie) inside on the lid and the bottom.
My pack always has the permit in it on the top flap pocket.
Inreach would be obvious is some tried to use it.

Just what I do.. :derp: in prep for a trip.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

On the other hand, my friend Greg Madrigal (Sierra Nets) lost his personal custom made flyfishing net up at Cottonwood Lake #2. We searched everywhere for it, left a note at the trailhead. The net was probably about $500+ retail, priceless since it was his personal net. Total bummer.

John
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Years ago, I was doing some local diving on a rockpile looking for Halibut. As I was heading along the bottom, back to the boat, I notice in the distance something that looked like a fishing rod. I swam over to it and it was, indeed a pristine, beautifully wrapped custom rod and Newell reel. I brought it home and tore down the reel to clean it of salt water and re-lube. It must have been lost that morning or the day before because it was in perfect condition.

There was a name baked into the rod, so I pulled out the phone book (I did say it was years ago) and found the person.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.