The Kern River Valley

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I know a young lady who works in Springville for the USFS. I don't know if she still gets out as much as she used to, but she enjoyed bagging groves all the time. While down there, she took us to Grants Grove? where the visitor center is and the largest tree is, can't remember a thing. Those are some big trees.
Piece of cake.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Until I was 4 I lived in the little white and green house behind (above/next to)James store in Kernville. The fact that the national forest was our backyard could explain the fact that now 45 years later, my brother, sister, and myself have all taken up backpacking. One of my earliest memories is hiking to some caves upstream on the Kern with my family.

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Saturday hiked up to Cook Peak with some of the KRV hiking club - although usually a drive up peak - we parked down low to give all members a conditioning type hike - it was hot for hiking but the breeze on top was a welcome relief with great views of Lake Isabella and surrounding peaks. Cook Peak is east of Isabella and situated between Lake Isabella and Mt Mesa

mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Moondust
Topix Acquainted

Just one small correction

Post by Moondust »

Thanks for all the info and photos of the Kernville area, Mountaincat. Just one small correction. The road you are thinking of is Lloyd Meadows Road, not Lylle Meadow. It is FSR 22S82.

The Freeman Creek trail was redone last summer and is a lovely, brush-free hiking trail all the way from top to bottom now.

At the end of Lloyd Meadows Road is Jerkey trailhead, with a good trail that goes up into the Golden Trout Wilderness.

There is also an unpaved road that goes to the trailhead for Forks of the Kern off of Lloyd Meadows Road.

For more hikes in the Lloyd Meadows Road/Western Divide Hwy area, see http://www.ponderosaca.com/hike.html
mountaincat
Topix Novice

Post by mountaincat »

Oops, my bad. Lloyd Meadow. There's a pack station out that way too, and Lloyd Meadow is also a rafting start spot for multi-day trips on the Kern. Brain freeze there (I did get the double LL's right).

I haven't done any trips with the local hiking club. Cook Peak sounds like a good workout, for certain.
Nature beckons, and I must answer

http://sierra-nevada-ramblings.blogspot.com/
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Hey Mountaincat,

Isn't there a big fire raging near Kernville? I hope everything is OK down there. Good Luck!!

Vic
mountaincat
Topix Novice

Post by mountaincat »

The Goldledge fire only got to about 4,000 acres, and was not really big and raging... it just hung on forever it seems. Trouble was its steep terrain meant few people could work it. It hasn't put out any noticable smoke for a couple weeks now, although there probably are some smoldering spots.

We've had 3 fires in the Kern area so far. Two were caused by electrical things, and the Goldledge fire from someone shooting a weapon.
Nature beckons, and I must answer

http://sierra-nevada-ramblings.blogspot.com/