Tuolumne Meadows - 2018

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tuolumne Meadows - 2018

Post by markskor »

Just a quick update. The phone call just came, the Tuolumne Store is scheduled to open June 6th...(almost two months earlier than last year). Looks like a 4-month season ahead - as they say, living the dream.

The way Aramark works is that each new employee, (or in my case as a seasonal, a re-hire) we again "get" to attend three 2-hour classes (paid though), covering such important topics as Safe Food handling, ...(recognizing/ selling to drunks, Bogus ID's, etc)...How we are to engage everyone with a smile..all the typical corporation Walmart greeter stuff. We also have to listen to the same "housing rules" lecture...yada yada, all part of a yearly ritual.

Thankfully, they also say Tioga is to open up this Monday. The plan is to pack up the Jeep, drive over the pass Tuesday and check out things out...maybe stay a night TM. Next day, drive down to the Valley, check in, get my Aramark ID...hopefully take the classes...probably dirtbag a little more too...maybe grab an art class. BTW, Interested to see the new location of the relocated Yosemite Art Center...recently moved from Yosemite Village to Happy Isles.

After hanging out in the Valley for a few days, then will hitch back up to the Meadows - grab a wilderness permit, and maybe hike down the Yosemite Creek trail starting at Porcupine flats...probably kill a few days drawing along the way. Valley again, another art class - finish up my Aramark classes, and eventually drive back June 1 to TM where we are directed to move into Summer quarters and all the employees are supposed to report...re-establish Club Med.
Club Med...home.jpg
Then it all starts.

Most of my summer packing here in Mammoth is done...still have to lay in a handle or two - maybe a good Rye? (thinking Templeton Rye, known as The Good Stuff, works.)...have to see what's on sale at Von's as to a Single Malt. We always try to observe past Club Med traditions like Manhattan Tuesdays...martini Wednesdays, etc.. You always have to think ahead living that isolated, as it's 50 miles to a real store...the tough summer Meadow conditions and all.

Will be coming back to Mammoth monthly...will try to check in here then as we have no easy wilderness internet access up there. If ever in Tuolumne, drop by the store and say hi. As always, don't expect too much from me though.
Stay tuned!
markskor
TM 3 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Tuolumne Meadows - 2018

Post by The Other Tom »

"...the tough summer Meadow conditions and all."
Living the life. Might see you in August.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

If ever in Tuolumne, drop by the store and say hi. As always, don't expect too much from me though.
A Walmart greeting and correct change is good enough, Mark.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Glad to hear the store will be open when I'm up there starting a trip on 6/10---I will come say hi!

Any news on TM campground open dates? Does anyone know if I can stay in backpacker campground on 6/9 evening even if the full campground isn't open yet?
Last edited by maiathebee on Fri May 25, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Officially TM BP not open - no potable water yet - no toilets but...
Unofficially, those with permits are camping there now...rangers not really checking, not encouraging anybody, but... You have to put the PCT / JMT hikers somewhere.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Thanks Mark!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

What weeks typically see the highest flood of PCT hikers through Tuolumne?
Would you characterize it as a steep or flattened bell curve, over 3, 5, or 7 weeks?
Is this a relatively normal year, from the aspect of snow and interest?
My friend in Idlylwild told me the are seeing a lot of hikers.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

If there are a lot of hikers in Tuolumne Meadows now, it seems that they're a little earlier than usual. The trip estimates I've seen over the years figure that Sonora Pass is about the 1st of July. And it's only a week or so from TM to Sonora Pass. That would make this year's hikers about a month early...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Sorry, to be clear, my friend from Idylwild reported about Idylwild, not Tuolumne.
I have seen a lot of hikers at Tuolumne the 2nd and 3rd week of June, which fits pretty well with Sonora July 1st.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

CAMERONM wrote:What weeks typically see the highest flood of PCT hikers through Tuolumne?
Would you characterize it as a steep or flattened bell curve, over 3, 5, or 7 weeks?
Is this a relatively normal year, from the aspect of snow and interest?
My friend in Idlylwild told me the are seeing a lot of hikers.
(Temporarily back in Mammoth - rain.)
As the TM store is not open yet...now they say June 6th... (insert something here about a water problem and no potable water/flush toilets in TM yet), sort of hard to analyze this year's PCT climate.
33584463_1819251624806848_2668613629414211584_n.jpg
(above yesterday)
However, the usual flattened bell curve "peak" usually runs all through June. A few of the stronger ones are there now, mile 942. FYI, Have spotted a few already coming through Mammoth too but even at that, with the Red's Meadow road problems, (the DPP road up is closed due to erosion - indefinite when to be fixed). There is no easy way up to Mammoth - no shuttle even though a clear road down as far as Agnew Meadows - (hike over Mammoth Pass to Horseshoe?) and many PCTers seem to be somewhat avoiding Mammoth.

As to numbers...looks like an above-average year as much lower snow compared to last. First comes the elite - coming through now...then the pack (the peloton?)...expect peak numbers mid June. By July, we see the start of another migration - the JMT bell curve...wider still. Easy to differentiate, the JMT are easily recognized by heavier gear, larger backpacks, and a "know it all" attitude.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.