Why no porters/"sherpas" in the Sierra?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Why no porters/"sherpas" in the Sierra?

Post by longri »

fishmonger wrote:I met some guys with goats 2 summers ago.
I've never seen pack goats. But this makes it look easy; the animal just tags along obediently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMSYKl-SxyE
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

longri wrote:
fishmonger wrote:I met some guys with goats 2 summers ago.
I've never seen pack goats. But this makes it look easy; the animal just tags along obediently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMSYKl-SxyE

My experience watching goats is that while they roughly follow they will frequently cut across switchbacks and will wander a bit to grab a bite of grass.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Whether goats are seen as a bother or helpful depends a lot on your view of animals on backpacks in general. Animal lovers see their goat not only as a means to carry stuff but as a companion, much like a dog. Any animal taken backpacking requires you to put their needs above yours. Goats usually are not seen as pack animals that carry everything- rather they supplement, allowing you to be out longer without resupply. The goat below are a larger variety. I met this group in the Wind Rivers. They were ranchers from Idaho, and had two grown goats and several juvenile goats who were being "trained". They said that on a goat's first trip they simply learn to wear the pack. Later they actually put stuff inside.
085_Goats.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Whether goats are seen as a bother or helpful depends a lot on your view of animals on backpacks in general. Animal lovers see their goat not only as a means to carry stuff but as a companion, much like a dog. Any animal taken backpacking requires you to put their needs above yours. Goats usually are not seen as pack animals that carry everything- rather they supplement, allowing you to be out longer without resupply. The goat below are a larger variety. I met this group in the Wind Rivers. They were ranchers from Idaho, and had two grown goats and several juvenile goats who were being "trained". They said that on a goat's first trip they simply learn to wear the pack. Later they actually put stuff inside.
085_Goats.jpg
The older couple we encountered carried small day packs. 5 goats carried the bulk of their gear.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

That's one of the things that looked appealing to me, that the animal appeared to have a nice disposition. When I've encountered llamas I've felt the same way, that they might be nice just to have around. I love horses too but they have other downsides in the backcountry.

The other thing that occurred to me is that you could eat the goat. It would save a lot of food weight.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I hope that was meant as a joke Longri. One would eat their goat no more than one would eat their dog (or their backpack partner). One goat packer I met was so attached to his goat that he would not even board his goat out even though he wanted to do some international travel. He did it once and the goat was so depressed that it broke his heart. He was simply waiting until his goat died before he started traveling.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

That should take you back about 40 years.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SNOOOOW »

longri wrote:
The other thing that occurred to me is that you could eat the goat. It would save a lot of food weight.
Just make sure you are below 10k' so you can have a legal fire for the goat roast. I'd join in for that. :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Found this link to llama packing:

http://www.llamapackers.com/05_rates.html

$95 per llama per day (2 llama minimum, 60 lbs per llama)
$20 trailer rental per day (if necessary)
$5 bear can rental per day
Five day minimum reservation in August.
-------------

Two people going halfway up Taboose or Shepherd Pass trails like 4 miles (8 roundtrip) 3k would spend $220 for the animals allowing them to hike sans pack the hot lower sections. If one could also hire a person for say $200 not carrying more than a daypack to hike along that would bring the animals back down the same day, that would be about $450 total or $225 each. With a 4 person group that would be $155 each. An idea the llama business might help with including providing a local young person as the llama driver as it could expand their business service.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.