Coleman/white gas stoves banned, CA coast?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Coleman/white gas stoves banned, CA coast?

Post by hikerduane »

Yep, I'm aware of fire restrictions, I live in the Plumas NF, been bping since mid 70's. Just wanted to know which specific area banned white gas in established campgrounds.
Duane
Piece of cake.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

White gas is not banned anywhere unless stoves are...
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Yes, I live in timber country, Plumas NF.
Duane
Piece of cake.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

On FS lands there are stages of fire restrictions. The highest stage is a total ban on open flames (which includes smoking anything on the trail or in camp), and no off road internal combustion engine use. A lesser ban is no campfires outside of designated campgrounds, but stoves are OK.

I have not heard of any liquid fuel stove ban. I suspect it would be for any spilled fuel, not fire risk. A FS study several years ago found traces of liquid stove fuel in the soil at a popular wilderness campsite, and traces in an adjacent lake.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rhyang
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by rhyang »

I would suggest checking out the Ventana Wilderness Alliance site (ventanawild dot org). They post updates to NF fire restrictions.

Might the liquid fuel issue be related to a stove without a shutoff valve ? I like to use a lightweight alcohol stove, but since I only backpack there during the cool wet months it isn't an issue.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Think about how many flare ups you've seen/had using a white gas stove. You can know what you're doing from experience, but it still happens. And then there's always more people than not that have no idea what they're doing, freak out, and turn the stove, everything around it, and often their gear as well, into a conflagration. Throw in some dry coastal chaparral, and how hard it is for them to put ground crews on the scene, and it's no wonder they want to ban it. I've used white gas seasonally for years, and that's why I always use a squirt of alcohol for preheating before I even turn the valve on. That, and the fact that I hate cleaning sooty stoves.