Another Hypothetical Question

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Another Hypothetical Question

Post by longri »

Here's the first part of a hypothetical question I've asked fellow climbers, but it applies to backpackers as well.

Suppose there were a drug that when taken daily would, over time, give you significantly increased strength for carrying a pack, more endurance when hiking, a better sense of balance over difficult terrain, a higher lean to fat ratio in your body, improved mental clarity, a bump up in your IQ, and increased longevity. There are no side effects and absolutely zero long-term ill effects from taking this drug. It will actually increase your liklihood of living longer. It is inexpensive and lots of people are already taking it and seem happy about it.

Which of the two options would you choose?

A. Do nothing, stay the same as you are now

B. Take this drug daily for the rest of your life
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Another Hypothetical Question

Post by balzaccom »

there already is a drug like that. It's called food. We all eat it.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

There must be a catch. It would permeate through the body replicating itself through artificial intelligence? ;)

But as Balzaccom suggested, if it's only the food, then I'm all for it. :)
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

O.K. Longri,
How is the drug taken? Your description sounds like the endorphins released through exercise.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Balzaccom- wish it were food, but unfortunately, food is a double-edged sword. The right amount of the right kind of food and yes, all is good. Given the evidence of an obesity epidemic, unfortunately it seems like too many people eat the wrong kind of food and too much.

Although endorphins may be the "drug" that rewards exercise, exercise hardly applies to "lots of people" (just go to Walmart and look around to verify that!). What if you were to give people endorphins and they just sat on their couches? Would it have the same effect on your body?

Seeing that I already am reaping the same benefits, I would not risk doing much different, for fear of unintended consequences. If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

This sounds more like a riddle. I'm guessing water.

Or it's just poking fun at the other hypothetical question thread, in which case I'm offended and triggered and quitting the internet forever!!!!!! ;)
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

longri wrote:Suppose there were a drug that when taken daily would, over time, give you significantly increased strength for carrying a pack, more endurance when hiking, a better sense of balance over difficult terrain, a higher lean to fat ratio in your body, improved mental clarity, a bump up in your IQ, and increased longevity. There are no side effects and absolutely zero long-term ill effects from taking this drug.

No side effects and nothing but beneficial results? That's a no brainer. Take it. Who wouldn't?

That's like asking if you could eat chocolate all the time with no bad effects, would you? Again, a no brainer.

John
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Unless it involved some controversial new experimental technology. Then I probably would have some serious second thoughts about taking it. But, if it was as Balzaccom suggested, only food, then I'd be all for it, provided the food was non-gmo and low in fat and cholesterol.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

So, longri, what's the second part?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

It's only available in one formulation, as a twice-a-day suppository.