Favorite Sierra Documentaries?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Bradg
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Favorite Sierra Documentaries?

Post by Bradg »

Hello all

There is a film called the "Manzanar Fishing Club" that documents The Japanese-Americans interned at Manzanar during WWII. How they slipped under the wire and fished the creeks coming out of the Sierra. Even cross-countrying into the high country.

Pretty cool...
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

cslaght wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:57 pm This might not apply directly, but the National Parks series by Ken Burns has some excellent use of the Sierra. My favorite is the Ansel Adams and Kings Canyon formation. Highly recommended.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Valley Uprising and Free Solo. On YouTube, Apeman's documentary of his JMT hike with his daughter was almost as good as those professional films. (Anybody think he will read this? :D ) There was also a YouTube video of this guy hiking and fishing the JMT with his two young sons that I enjoyed even though it was long.
apeman45
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by apeman45 »

Hey thanks Lumbergh. I'm pretty fond of "Mile...Mile and a Half" for the great high quality shots they got by hauling all that heavy camera gear around. My favorite scene is at Rae Lakes where they display the sliced up Snickers bars and mention they must have murdered a guy for those. I was there with my daughter and shared some Snickers and an epic sunset with these cool people. The PCT films just getter better and better every year and I always follow a few each year. It's a curse though as people see the beauty of the Sierra and want to see it in person.