Re: IT WORKED, I'M IMMUNE TO POISON OAK!!!
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:24 pm
Sierra Nevada related information; backpacking, camping, hiking, snowboarding, skiing, fishing, photography, and more!
Harlen, you misunderstood my post. I was simply pointing out that there is a high risk of significant negative side-effects with the treatment, whether it works as hoped or not. If someone got an itchy rear due to intentionally eating poison oak I'd think it was funny.Harlen wrote:This has become funny and entertaining, although Longri, in a polite and suitably restrained manner, shows his concern for the condition of our asses. Thanks, mine's fine. So far so good, even though I was inspired just yesterday to snap up a few of the dreaded PO leaves. I'll keep you posted- any pruritus ani, you'll be the first to know!
Mrphil, what's a "Tide pod," and what, if any, are the supposed benefits of eating them? We have "tide pools" down here, and I eat some of the kelp and shellfish for fun and nutrition, but I reckon you are on about something else?
Not at all; and you are right that the 18 of 21 stat. re. side effects is the most "statistically significant." The next most significant was the stat. regarding the number of the test pop. whose reaction was lessened following ingestion of the urushiol oil. I still find it funny though, fearing for ones arse that is. I was never told of any side effects by the botanist friend that put me onto eating oak, and I've never had any. I wonder about the difference between the straight urushiol oil versus chewing a spring leaf or two? It's interesting to note that deer and goats browse P.O. with no apparent ill effects; I heard somewhere that it is one of the deer's staple forage plants. If so, then what selective value does the P.O. toxicity have? Perhaps as an insect deterrent? It would be interesting to research that question.Harlen, you misunderstood my post.
First, it was the “gallon challenge” and the “cinnamon challenge.”
Then some teenagers started playing the “bath-salt challenge.”
They have dared each other to pour salt in their hands and hold ice till it burns, douse themselves in rubbing alcohol and set themselves ablaze, and throw boiling water on unsuspecting peers.
Now videos circulating on social media are showing kids biting into brightly colored liquid laundry detergent packets. Or cooking them in frying pans, then chewing them up before spewing the soap from their mouths.
Experts say the game, dubbed the “Tide pod challenge,” is dangerous.
The urushiol compound in poison ivy is not a defensive measure; rather, it helps the plant to retain water. It is frequently eaten by animals such as deer and bears.
The short article below has some additional points in P.O.'s favor:Black-tailed deer, mule deer, California ground squirrels, western gray squirrels, and other indigenous fauna feed on the leaves of the plant. It is rich in phosphorus, calcium, and sulfur. Bird species use the berries for food, and utilize the plant structure for shelter. Neither native animals, nor horses, livestock, or canine pets demonstrate reactions to urushiol.
Okay.. to post a link, all you have to do is bring up the link on a page, copy the link, paste the link and voila.Harlen wrote:
baynature.org/article/poison-oak-has-a-good-side-too/ [Sorry, I haven't yet figured out how to add the immediate access to articles. ]
I believe that only humans are allergic to urushiol and similar molecules (e.g. the ones found in some mangos). It's not toxic even to us. So postulating the selective pressure due to toxicity or allergenic response is probably the wrong way to look at it. It's very likely that our reaction to it is just a fluke and has nothing to do with why it's there. Maybe it just makes the sap a little stickier or something like that.Harlen wrote:It's interesting to note that deer and goats browse P.O. with no apparent ill effects; I heard somewhere that it is one of the deer's staple forage plants. If so, then what selective value does the P.O. toxicity have? Perhaps as an insect deterrent? It would be interesting to research that question.
My wife used to get those all of the time but the shots are designed to deal with allergies that induce IgE response. Poison Oak elicits a different type of immune response. So it may be a mistake to generalize and assume that the desensitization method used for one type of allergic reaction applies to the other.Tom_H wrote:It is indeed possible to build up a resistance to something you have previously been allergic to by slowly titrating the substance into the body. This is exactly what allergy shots are. They just inject you with whatever it is that you're allergic to. They start with a minuscule amount and slowly increase the amount over a period of time....