What kind of driver are you?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What kind of driver are you?

Post by Jimr »

It seems B is A with a human element added. Actually, I think A drivers are stoned. We should all drive stoned. I'm basically a B driver, but I don't get perturbed easily. I allow people in when they want to merge in front of me. I often gesture to communicate with other drivers when I'm giving them the space of relinquishing right of way.

I gladly let those who are in too much of a hurry ahead of me. The farther they are from me the better. Cutting me off only annoys me when it was unsafe to have done what they did. There are two types of cutting off. The first when a driver moves in front of you too close for comfort. The second are those who see your blinker, that you intend to move in front of them, so they speed up to thwart your move. I find the second so common that I start to wonder if they are now teaching that maneuver in driving school. That alone, is probably the driving habit that keeps me in B.

On open hwy, I tend to use cruise control and keep it at about 4 to 5 miles above the speed limit. I probably annoy those in too much of a hurry, but I figure if I'm already speeding and they want to go faster, they can go around. I'm an assertive driver, but not aggressive. I try to be courteous. I never flip people off or curse at them or the like. Road rage is not something I need to instigate. When people occasionally do that to me, I normally just let it pass. It's their problem unless I take it on myself.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: What kind of driver are you?

Post by John Harper »

Dave_Ayers wrote:I'm in the 93% of US drivers that thinks they are above average drivers. :D
http://heatherlench.com/wp-content/uplo ... venson.pdf
I do recall a old TV show (maybe with Christopher Reeve? pre-paralysis) that asked questions about safe driving tactics and depending on your responses you got a grade. I got 100%. Anyone remember that show? I think this is it:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/476240/V ... -Test-The/

John