Flu

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Flu

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

The last time that I had flu symptoms, it was 1985, so I don't even bother to get flu shots.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

I had a fever of 102 for about 24 hours then shook it off, I work in a medical facility so this time of year I am constantly around sick people. I have a very good immune system and even with the bolus of germs coming in here everyday I tend to stay healthy.

Is nobody going to laugh hysterically at Jim's joke??? :lol: :lol: Hilarious
Jimr wrote:BTW do you know the difference between a gene and a hormone?

You can't hear a gene.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I just avoid people. After going on store runs, the hands never touch the face until I get home and wash them. Pin entry systems are probably the dirtiest things every developed. Haven't had the flu in more than a decade. The vaccine almost never matches the virus for the year. If I was a kid or over 70 then maybe i'd consider it.
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Just had a viral illness for the second time in my life; most displeasing.

Out from work 9 days.

I blame the students I mix with :D
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

I teach at a high school, haven't been sick in years, can't even recall the last time I was out sick. I actually think being exposed to so many kids helps build up my immune system. Never had a flu shot either.

John
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

So far so good this year. A minor head cold for a few days, no flu symptoms.

I saw an article the other day about the effectiveness of the current shot. I'll search for the link. The media touted 'only 10% effective' mantra was the initial estimate from previous years experience and how the current strain mutated. Now that the the actual statistics are coming in the CDC is reporting the effectiveness at 30% -- way above initial estimates. Also, around 80% of the flu deaths so far have been to unvaccinated people.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=