Backcountry Cannabis comsumption?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Backcountry Cannabis comsumption?

Post by SSSdave »

maverick wrote:
See my post:
Yes, I read it, but it seems that the majority smoke it, most folks I have seen in the backcountry smoke it.
Or more accurately as a long time backpacker and SF Bay Area working person at conservative corporations, that has seen it all from the 60s era,

but it seems that the majority smoke it though discretely, most folks I have seen in the backcountry smoke it so.

In other words for those unfamiliar with the decades old ever evolving counterculture, one might never have noticed that side of our regional lifestyles at home or out in the backcountry, however that is what the nature of being illegal for so long created. Same people have probably never been to a real rock concert in the region.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Chemically induced, artificial mental states don't generate a lot of interest for me. It's not a big deal is someone wants to smoke or drink in moderation. Just not my preference.

Peace
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

We camped near some 20-somethings this summer, they smoked it. We camped near some guys in their 70's, they vaped it. I'm in between, and I smoke it. Legalization is way overdue. The guys in their 70's thought it was cute I still get real bud from a "dealer" instead of a MM dispensary.

Currently have a supply of "Head Love" and "Psycho." The Psycho is............wow! Had recently strains of Sour Diesel, Girl Scout Cookie, Grandaddy Kush, Purple Kush, etc. You gotta love all the names of the different strains today.

John
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I, like other normal human beings, sleep poorly at high elevation. If I had known then what I know now I could have ingested THC (smoked, etc.) and each night would have slept a lot better. I never liked how THC made me feel when I'm awake.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I smoke two joints in the morning,. I smoke two joints at night. I smoke two joints in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright . I smoke two joints in time of peace and two in time of war. I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints, and then I smoke two more!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Troutdog 59 wrote:I smoke two joints in the morning,. I smoke two joints at night. I smoke two joints in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright . I smoke two joints in time of peace and two in time of war. I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints, and then I smoke two more!!!
You are talking about $10 for a 4 finger "lid" days. It cost too much to smoke like that today. :shakefist:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
beamountainman
Topix Novice

Post by beamountainman »

maverick wrote:Everyone smokes it here, does anyone vape or consume it?
I smell it but almost never see anyone actually smoking it. I hope it stays that way. There have also been strict fire restrictions, so that presented it's own issues when I had it.

I think the little vape sticks are perfect. I like to just get a little buzz - enough to help bring out the nature.

What I don't like is that when I backpack, I like to get my miles in to experience everything I can. I target enough that I can get up and start by 8 and stop around 5 to setup my tent, eat dinner, clean up, and prep for the next day in sunlight. I don't care what anyone says, the problem with getting high is it's a lot easier to take way too long to do stuff or take a wrong turn and not realize it. In the flip side, it's definitely much more enjoyable.

I have a good tolerance and always had top quality stuff back in the late 90's, but some of the stuff is so strong now, it can be disorienting. I think a good periodic puff from a vape with whichever strain you like or a presmeasured edible is the way to go. Edibles mean less room in my bear canister. The vape pens are much more convenient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

dave54 wrote:
Wandering Daisy wrote:Do not need or want it. Or even booze. I like to leave all that home when I go into the wilderness. I want my experience to be real, including the mild pain and discomfort. In fact on reason I like to solo is that I do not get distracted by talk or others needs. My most memorable trips are those where I am most immersed in wilderness and drugs of any kind distract from that. Like Jim, the few times I have tried it, I just got paranoid- did not like it.
Agree. I am past all that. Sometimes I bring a small flask of single malt, and pour myself a small finger while watching a sunset, but that is it.

Wife is allergic to cannabis. Can't even be around second hand drift smoke or the smell on someone else's clothing. Which means we have to careful about the adjacent campers. Getting to be a problem.
I hiked for nine miles (it took twelve hours) completely blacked out and stoned the one time I tried it. My friends were incredibly impressed that I was even standing, let alone hiking with poles, tho at a certain point someone had to carry my backpack for me. The bits of semi-coherent memory I have tell me I was hallucinating and having all kinds of temperature regulation issues, in addition to sobbing like a baby at one point.

Some people have absolutely solid reasons for avoiding it like the plague. People who think you're "just not chill" can shut up and go away.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

gary c. wrote:
Troutdog 59 wrote:I smoke two joints in the morning,. I smoke two joints at night. I smoke two joints in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright . I smoke two joints in time of peace and two in time of war. I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints, and then I smoke two more!!!
You are talking about $10 for a 4 finger "lid" days. It cost too much to smoke like that today. :shakefist:
A4 finger lid and paraquat. Does anyone even roll joints anymore? Heck, one of my joints would be $10 in pot and $50 in munchies.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.