Backcountry Cannabis comsumption?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry Cannabis comsumption?

Post by Flamingo »

There is term in the thru-hiking community called "hover hiking", referring to the act of smoking pot while doing miles.

Pro tip: For best results, hover hike only on good trail that requires minimal navigation. Nobody wants to hear "oops, we missed the turn 2 miles ago."
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

I love smoking weed while backpacking, as I feel it only enhances the incredible beauty of my surroundings. And while it might sound odd, I kind of enjoy the fact that it can make me a little scared, paranoid, and on edge out there. Preferably I'll smoke a joint, but I'll bring a pipe, and while someone joked about a potato, in times of desperation I've brought an apple pipe into the backcountry. All that being said, I do have some stipulations:

1. For the most part, I will not get stoned until I know that there will be no more uphill for the day. Being high makes climbing that much more difficult for me, and weed serves as a nice reward for reaching the top of a pass.

2. Unless I'm just following a creek, or going over some route I know well, I don't like to be high for cross-country hiking. I tend to make incredibly poor navigational decisions when I'm stoned.

3. I solely smoke for recreational reasons. While I realize pot has medicinal value, for me personally, if I have a nagging injury I feel being high only intensifies the pain and makes me paranoid about it.

Finally, as for the whole indica vs. sativa debate, or what strain I'm smoking, I think all that's a bit overrated. I never have any idea what I'm smoking, and I feel that the type of high is determined much more by my mindset and surroundings than anything else. I can smoke the exact same weed two days in a row, and have completely different reactions to it depending on these things.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Same as Dave54 and WD. I have grown and smoked a lot of weed in the past and probably would partake in a backcountry social setting, but when I'm solo and deep into the backcountry, I need all my wits about me. I find it beneficial and refreshing to escape all my daily Cocktail Hour habits when I'm out on a trek.

Off topic and as a side note, I am amazed at how the Cannabis life has evolved into a marketing hype of names and how they can correlate strain with the "high" the user will experience. I Googled cannabis seeds and learned that 5 seeds will cost you $100.00 and grow only females! (I'm sure many of you will recall cleaning a "lid" by using a shoebox lid and a pack of Zig Zags then watching the seeds roll down the cardboard by the hundreds) As a hobbyist gardener that means no seeds for next years crop! Maybe someone will eventually introduce "Heirloom" varietals? The plant is easy to grow outdoors in California and from a gardener's perspective, easy to apply all sorts of tricks and stressing techniques to produce visually interesting and beautiful specimens.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

As a working hi tech person living in the SF Bay Area since the hard core counterculture days of the early 70s and classic rock music fan, never thought I'd live to see this day haha. Pacific Coast is free and Nevada too hehe now! Nice not to have that very black legal cloud hanging over our lives. But never a fan of those into the daily habitual mellow stoner thing. Here in the SF Bay Area know all the types well and many have been close acquaintances. Each to their own, let it be. But just for sleeping? What a boring waste? Much prefer being totally unmedicated in all ways including caffeine and alcohol, naturalized...for most of the time.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

SSSdave wrote:As a working hi tech person living in the SF Bay Area since the hard core counterculture days of the early 70s and classic rock music fan, never thought I'd live to see this day haha. Pacific Coast is free and Nevada too hehe now! Nice not to have that very black legal cloud hanging over our lives. But never a fan of those into the daily habitual mellow stoner thing. Here in the SF Bay Area know all the types well and many have been close acquaintances. Each to their own, let it be. But just for sleeping? What a boring waste? Much prefer being totally unmedicated in all ways including caffeine and alcohol, naturalized...for most of the time.
My coffee is in the form of mocha--just comfort food when backpacking. Despite regular exercise my hips and shoulders hurt enough to keep me awake, even at home when trying to sleep. Something to dull the pain and assist sleep is now a necessity--wish it were otherwise. But a good night sleep really helps performance the next day. I absolutely prefer to experience my day time hours with no filters or alterations but I need sleep and find the only way to get sleep is with a little help from my friends. Cocktail hour is more of a ritual than a necessity can't carry enough to really do much but at the end of the day, before dinner it is kind of fun with some hors d'oeuvres. Tried to convince my son not carry 151 on our last bp together and he said, "but dad, it's tradition!" So we added almost 4 lbs to our combined loads (2 fifths of 151) just to maintain tradition.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I should point out that the fact that marijuana is legal in California DOES NOT MEAN that a federal LEO on federal lands cannot or will not cite you and require you to appear in federal court on the charge.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

balzaccom wrote:I should point out that the fact that marijuana is legal in California DOES NOT MEAN that a federal LEO on federal lands cannot or will not cite you and require you to appear in federal court on the charge.
Major BUZZ KILL reporting for duty.....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Jimr wrote: In 2014, I tried a hit or two
Ha ha, weren't you in your tent for something like 12 hrs? Count me in among the minority who experience paranoia. According to this study, it affects around 20%:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2014-07-16-how ... s-paranoia

As teenagers, we'd get high after surfing (Santa Cruz). It was partly just to warm up with the windows rolled up and heater blasting. Haven't really partook since.

My primary issue is the (long) time it takes to move out of your system; some reports indicate as short as 4 days and as long as 2 months:

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2287.aspx? ... goryID=871

I've always been high energy, so I don't like getting bogged down. Now, a beer (or three) after hard exercise is just my cup of tea.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

There is term in the thru-hiking community called "hover hiking", referring to the act of smoking pot while doing miles.
A few years ago I camped in the Tuolumne backpackers camp next to a large group of PCT hikers and I nearly got smoked out by all the weed smoke wafting in my direction. I was told that there is a lot of shrooming going on as well.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Flamingo wrote:There is term in the thru-hiking community called "hover hiking", referring to the act of smoking pot while doing miles.

Pro tip: For best results, hover hike only on good trail that requires minimal navigation. Nobody wants to hear "oops, we missed the turn 2 miles ago."
Smoking on the trail is prohibited when fire restrictions are initiated.

And as mentioned in a previous post, it is still prohibited on federal land. A fed LEO could cite you, although I doubt any would for just smoking in camp. On the trail while in fire restrictions he might, or just tell you to put it out while hiking.

In either case, if you wouldn't do it while drinking alcohol, you probably shouldn't do it while smoking pot.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=