Backcountry Cannabis comsumption?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Backcountry Cannabis comsumption?

Post by TahoeJeff »

The "Sleep" post got me to thinking:
Who here uses Cannabis in the backcountry, whether recreationally or medicinally?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry Cannabis comsumption?

Post by maverick »

Also, what particular species, Sativa or Indica? Which strain is you favorite? Carmel Cake, Headband, Hindu Kush, or maybe Purple Cadillac? Gotta love the names they come up with! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

cannibis

Post by oldranger »

Tried smoking flower but the coughing turned me off. Seems to me my body is telling me something. Now use tinctures which are more expensive but no coughing and I can measure exactly how much I am consuming. I consume only in the evening and I don't get high (as I did occasionally in my younger days) but the measured doses help me deal with the pain that occompanies 60 years of backpacking and difficulties sleeping that occurs as one enters their 8th decade. At home I hardly ever use Aleve or benadryl any more but will still use it when backpacking (but not as much benadryl as I used to before I could legally get cannibis tinctures).

Anybody else use tinctures over flower? Oh yeah the local shops say that about 50% of their customers are old farts like me.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Marijuana

Post by markskor »

Now that weed is legal here in California, and has already entered into the forum as a sub-topic in the current sleep thread, let's talk about it some more.
Do you carry it along on the trails? Smoke it, edibles, oils?
What do you smoke it out of...pipe, bong, potato? Lets see 'em?

BTW, some may have noticed my realistic replica trout found hanging on the back of my backpack. Why you ask? Three reasons -
1) 15" long and a good measuring reference for any trout caught.
2) Differentiates me as a dirt-bag fisherman. To me, the highest category of Sierra backpacker.
3) Serves as my secret bong holder.
fish.jpg
mini bong.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Gave it up over 25 years ago. In 2014, I tried a hit or two and found whatever the name was, it made me paranoid and....redundant. I spent probably 2 hours packing, then rechecking my pack afraid that in the morning I wouldn't know where I packed ... whatever. I was turned onto a gram by my old roommate, but I'd only take a hit about 30 minutes before bed. Seemed like a waste of time. And that's from somone who used to toke bombers like cigarettes. Just ain't me any more.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

That and a bit of whiskey always makes the sunset/stargazing easier and more entertaining
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Do not need or want it. Or even booze. I like to leave all that home when I go into the wilderness. I want my experience to be real, including the mild pain and discomfort. In fact on reason I like to solo is that I do not get distracted by talk or others needs. My most memorable trips are those where I am most immersed in wilderness and drugs of any kind distract from that. Like Jim, the few times I have tried it, I just got paranoid- did not like it.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

To answer Marksor's question: Either a joint or home-baked brownie since neither requires extra paraphenalia. With the right strain, coughing is not an issue. As mentioned in the Sleep thread, sativa.

To answer Jeff's original question: As a cancer survivor clinically diagnosed with depression, it's both medicinal and recreational.

I agree with Maverick on some of the names.They make one want to try it just for the name until you read more about it and realize the name has little to do with the result.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Do not need or want it. Or even booze. I like to leave all that home when I go into the wilderness. I want my experience to be real, including the mild pain and discomfort. In fact on reason I like to solo is that I do not get distracted by talk or others needs. My most memorable trips are those where I am most immersed in wilderness and drugs of any kind distract from that. Like Jim, the few times I have tried it, I just got paranoid- did not like it.
Agree. I am past all that. Sometimes I bring a small flask of single malt, and pour myself a small finger while watching a sunset, but that is it.

Wife is allergic to cannabis. Can't even be around second hand drift smoke or the smell on someone else's clothing. Which means we have to careful about the adjacent campers. Getting to be a problem.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

We should keep in mind that it's illegal under federal law. National parks are under federal jurisdiction. There may be risks even outside parks.

Once I was driving out of Kings Canyon and there was a DUI checkpoint before park exit. I don't know whether they were looking for anything besides alcohol.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.