Backcountry Cannabis comsumption?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Backcountry Cannabis comsumption?

Post by John Harper »

Jimr wrote:
gary c. wrote:
Troutdog 59 wrote:I smoke two joints in the morning,. I smoke two joints at night. I smoke two joints in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright . I smoke two joints in time of peace and two in time of war. I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints, and then I smoke two more!!!
You are talking about $10 for a 4 finger "lid" days. It cost too much to smoke like that today. :shakefist:
A4 finger lid and paraquat. Does anyone even roll joints anymore?
I rolled some up a couple weeks ago. Took a couple tries to get them tight, but the muscle memory came right back. Papers were the hardest thing to find!

John
apeman45
Topix Acquainted

Post by apeman45 »

I'm old and being able to carry enough whiskey on a long trip to get a good night's sleep is starting to be a weight burden. As a government employee close to retirement I can't risk blowing it by testing positive. I hike with younger people and they tempt me occasionally and I must say the results have always been positive. Last trip a buddy pulled out these oil things and stuck them in a skinny pen sized thing. It was smokeless and I slept through the night. Great delivery system. Sorry I'm ignorant on the latest smoke technology. It's a necessity for my aching joints to do something and the pain meds ain't cutting it anymore. I don't have any desire to enhance my experience other than being able to just continue to backpack. I had knee replacement surgery 2 weeks ago and my remaining joints get pretty angry on trips. Why in the world would I not consume cannabis?
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

apeman45 wrote:Why in the world would I not consume cannabis?
Federal law, the risk of being busted in a national park, that's the main thing. Side effects, if you get any, would be another reason.

My aching joints respond well to NSAIDs but I have the same problem with whisky. Barrel strength is one way to ease the load. At that concentration the whisky is actually a pretty weight-efficient source of calories, better than some energy bars. Or at least that's what I tell myself, that a calorie is a calorie.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Side effects, if you get any, would be another reason.
One should only take a strain on a trip that they a familiar with and definitely not experiment with a new strain or smoke someone else's.
My aching joints respond well to NSAIDs
Have you tried Curcumin w/Black Pepper and/or Boswellia, better alternative to pharmaceuticals. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

maverick wrote: One should only take a strain on a trip that they a familiar with and definitely not experiment with a new strain or smoke someone else's.
WHAT?
Amazingly lame response there Mav. :thumbsdown:
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Well, I know folks who have smoked cannabis, offered by someone they did not know, and they went on a bad trip, they said that the stuff may have been laced. Why would you risk smoking it, in the backcountry, from an unknown source, I wouldn't risk it myself, if I smoked.

Getting medical cannabis from a dispensary, is still the safest and most regulated (lab tested) source. Unregulated sources or unknown sources are risky, watch any episodes of "Drugs Inc"? You learn, that a lot of folks out there, will do anything to make a buck, no matter who they hurt.

In one episode, they were deliberately cutting the product with an elephant tranquilizer, which would kill the user that they picked, knowing that the word would get out, that his specific branded product caused it, so other users would want to try it, they had no regards for human life.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

maverick wrote:Have you tried Curcumin w/Black Pepper and/or Boswellia, better alternative to pharmaceuticals. :nod:
I like a good curry. Hadn't heard of Boswellia before. I'm conservative when it comes to pharmaceuticals and generally stick to established, well studied molecules. I've consumed an incredible amount of ibuprofen, many kilograms over the years. More recently I've switched to Naproxen (Aleve) as my NSAID of choice. I first took it as a prescription drug after knee surgery about 30 years ago. Now it's my primary prophylactic on long mileage or otherwise big, difficult days in the wilderness. I couldn't do what I do without it or something of similar efficacy.

Bottom line is it works for me. If a bagful of yellow powder (or the equivalent in a capsule) or a toke of some semi-legal weed works for you more power to you. I'm actually intrigued by so many reports that some versions of marijuana have a pain killing effect for some people. I don't remember hearing about that in the 70s.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I first took it as a prescription drug after knee surgery about 30 years ago. Now it's my primary prophylactic on long mileage or otherwise big, difficult days in the wilderness. I couldn't do what I do without it or something of similar efficacy.
For knees you might want to check out topical versions of NSAIDs; they go straight to he problem without having to pass through your stomach.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

I'm telling you guys, Cannabidiols (CBDs) are the way to go for sleep and pain relief. It's still illegal under federal law as a derivative, but Cannabidiols have been isolated entirely in products or at least substantially as the dominant cannabinoid in some hybridized strains. We're well past the point where the argument that it's just for getting high, and that it has no medicinal or therapeutic value, has been proven ridiculous. It's not a moral dilemma unless you're an ultra right-wing conservative, buy into outdated reefer madness propaganda, or happen to be a major pharmaceutical company that just hasn't figured out a way to capitalize on it or would rather sell you one of their own synthesized drugs (never mind those suicidal thoughts).

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/what-is-cbd
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

No only effective against pain, but they are now considering it for use in the curtailing of the opioid epedemic too!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... id-crisis/