Backcountry Cannabis comsumption?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry Cannabis comsumption?

Post by AlmostThere »

maverick wrote:Well, I know folks who have smoked cannabis, offered by someone they did not know, and they went on a bad trip, they said that the stuff may have been laced. Why would you risk smoking it, in the backcountry, from an unknown source, I wouldn't risk it myself, if I smoked.
I didn't smoke anything. I was offered an edible by someone that I DO KNOW, and has never been impaired by it in any way. The other three people who were with me were not affected in the same way, which is how they were able to take care of me all day.

Just more of the same - people pretending that it's harmless, when I know full well that I personally am never touching the stuff again for a very good reason. I react very, very badly to prescription opiods as well. Some of us don't get the luxury of having no issues. Go ahead and dismiss my experience - you're wrong that it's harmless all the time if it's taken "correctly" - some of us know otherwise.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Absolutely not dismissing your experience. I do think that "pretending that it's harmless" is misleading. There will always be a segment of the population who have adverse reactions to certain things. I wouldn't say people are pretending that peanuts are harmless, even though a small percentage of the population are extremely allergic to them, to the point of death.

When I was in my 20's I used to dry roast pot, then scoop it into a teaspoon and drizzle honey over it instead of smoking it. I was an active divemaster at the time and smoking it affected my swimming. It is a completely different and more intense high than smoking it.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

maverick wrote:In one episode, they were deliberately cutting the product with an elephant tranquilizer
Isn't that "angel dust" or PCP? I remember they put it on "mint" leaves or something like that way back in HS. Never tried it, though.

John
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Angel dust (PCP). The most jacked up stuff on the face of the Earth. I had a friends who were dust heads. Their heads are probably literal dust by now. I tried it a couple of times. No thank you.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

markskor wrote:
maverick wrote: One should only take a strain on a trip that they a familiar with and definitely not experiment with a new strain or smoke someone else's.
WHAT?
Amazingly lame response there Mav. :thumbsdown:

HaHaHaHa. The best stuff around is OP! Other peoples.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

CAMERONM wrote:
I first took it as a prescription drug after knee surgery about 30 years ago. Now it's my primary prophylactic on long mileage or otherwise big, difficult days in the wilderness. I couldn't do what I do without it or something of similar efficacy.
For knees you might want to check out topical versions of NSAIDs; they go straight to he problem without having to pass through your stomach.
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of these formulations or that they are effective. It looks like they are all prescription-only in the U.S. which is unfortunate. And while my knees are the primary issue sometimes feet and back are also problematic. That would be a lot of gel rubbing.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Maybe in the minority here - doubt it though - but...
There is (for want of a better word) a distinctive Dirt Bag culture alive and well in our Sierra. Much like the Indian tradition of sharing a pipe upon meeting - very similar to what's prevalent on many wilderness trails today, happening on a daily basis. Seemingly, everybody of this ilk smokes weed readily...and shares freely. BTW, nobody I have ever met in the wilderness has ever offered me any Anger Dust or anything else bogus.

It's fairly easy to differentiate among the good, the bad, and the ugly denizens in the Sierra backcountry. Those of us familiar with backpacking the Sierra instantly know the difference between family units, city straights, newbies, dufus douche-bags, and Dirt Bags, (who always seem to find me). The good DBs have a legit backpack - facial hair, trail dirty, well-used gear, easy-going demeanor - often found hiking solo...hippies?

On meeting somewhere lakeside, (usually after finished hiking) - "Hey"...fist bump and instantaneous twinkle of recognition..."Smoke a Bong load?" "Hell yes!"...and that's how it goes - simple. You pull out your stash, everyone checks it out some, and you fire it up and pass it around. It is more a social scene, a way of connecting, and this scenario has all-to-often been repeated among my DB peers. Agree with above, OPs and AKs (other peoples and any kind) are always best when shared. Nobody ever infringes on/forces others to join in either. HYOH.

To conclude - Only the backwoods losers get loaded to the point of stupidity on pot - Most of these get (or are already) drunk too...pretty easy to spot and avoid as they are usually loud, reckless, and never have anything to offer or share.
There are some very strong strains of weed today though. Best to practice or just say no if worried. BTW, at roadside trail heads, this is where the crazies often live...things here can be different...Be aware.

Maybe if that toxic girl took up this way of greeting others instead of whining.
Mountainman who swims with trout