Starbucks in Yosemite

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Starbucks in Yosemite

Post by robow8 »

Snowtrout wrote:I see it as a non issue. Like others, bigger issues worth people's time: how is getting the original names back campaign going? :whistle:
People in the Valley last weekend said that it looks to be resolved soon, for whatever that's worth.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

The valley is already half city anyway. It is an awe inspiring place if you can ignore that and pretend you're there 200 years ago. I'm with others who'd rather put my energy into protecting the pristine majority that most people don't even know about. If they put it in existing space, it's not a fight I want to join
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

The bigger question is why would anyone care?

I don't drink that overpriced overhyped bilious swill anyway.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Told a coffee drinker and Sierra aficionado about this. Within 30 seconds they had signed the petition. ;)
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

People have you tasted the crap food (and coffee) that is “offered” by Aramark in the Valley. Abominable. Unless you are arguing for primitive camping only, anything else is debating angels on a pinhead.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Why can't they just get Peets and use it in the coffee maker? Save money, and avoid opening the door to a string of fast food chains in Cooks Meadow...
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Things have certainly gone downhill, IMHO, since Aramark took over the concession.
Certainly not a fan of theirs.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

oldhikerQ wrote:Things have certainly gone downhill, IMHO, since Aramark took over the concession.
Certainly not a fan of theirs.
Well...Can't say that I totally disagree - unfortunately, whoever is in charge, seemingly does not understand what they are stewards of, or know how to run our unique wonderland in a way that both pays homage to the culture and benefits all...yet.

Aramark's prides itself / caters to / has a history of good, quick food. They are successful at it. Feed the masses, cleanliness, paying crowds in a city atmosphere - the Valley. "Safe Food Practices" are stressed big-time...(BTW, a yearly required 3-hour class - lots of temperatures checked hourly in little boxes). Anyway, not so much though on what products backpackers, climbers, PCTers, JMTers, fishermen, cyclers (us?) really need.

Little things like aaa batteries, chapstick, gas canisters, Deet, sunblock, (TP?), chalk and climbing tape, ice, etc are all too often missing from the shelves. For me, not understanding the importance of these items is just one of the areas where they miss the mark.

Yosemite is unique, has a long history - services here too have evolved for reasons. Some of these services like shuttle buses, food drops, post office, BP campgrounds, recharge stations, permit quotas, HSCs - these are mostly non-profit but are celebrated and/ or have proven to be necessary. Aramark does not understand why these are important either and thus their cooperation/interaction with the park itself suffers. Ultimately, we then suffer. Aramark is a large public corporation (with shareholders) setting blanket policies...all emanating from New Jersey.

Maybe this year they will understand Yosemite's quirks a bit more.
just my 2¢
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Was in the valley yesterday doing some ice skating with friends before school starts back up. Nobody was there and great weather! The problem arose when I tried to keep the fire by the rink from smoking by rearranging the wood to promote airflow. Concessionaire ran out yelling that I was going to get burned, she works there and I don't, bla bla bla. If they had basic fire knowledge they would know not to just stick wood anywhere on a smoldering fire. Not the brightest people IMO. YMMV
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

oldranger wrote:Look at it this way--one more line that you don't have to get in that will divert people away from other places in the park that you want to visit!
Only one Starbucks in the Valley? That would be the line from Hell. You might as well put all 4 million visitors a year into it at once. I could probably hike up to Glacier Point, whip out the stove, brew my own, and still make it back before most of them got their Venti blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....whatever.

"Well, we were going to climb Half Dome, but I really needed a latte, and 3pm just seemed like it was too late to start."