Anyone feel the earthquake this morning?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Anyone feel the earthquake this morning?

Post by rlown »

I was up as I sleep weird now. 4.4. Sounded like a car driving up the road, but there were no headlights and a little jolt.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Anyone feel the earthquake this morning?

Post by maverick »

It was a 4.4 on the Hayward Fault, felt a slight movement, but what really woke me up, was my wife running in asking if I had felt it, said yes and fell back to sleep. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

:derp:
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

One mile from the epicenter, so yes, I felt it. Fortunately it was a VERY short earthquake...It's the long earthquakes that make me feel uneasy.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Third earthquake felt over the last few weeks down here in South Bay. Odd thing this time, just a couple hours earlier while going to sleep, thought about what I might grab if The Big One began. I sleep about 20 feet front my front door of a 2 story 4-plex so can get to my door quickly and outside. Not the kind of structure likely to collapse in even an 8 though a lot of small stuff like books would fall.

At this time of winter would want to grab my pants, 2 boots, and coat that are on the way out. Plan to start putting them at one spot so can grab them all at once. Big worry would be my car in the carport has another unit above it. Would hate to find that collapsed down preventing me from driving anywhere for probably too long a time. Worse worry is that a fire could start due to ruptured gas lines thus would want to go back in then grab some important stuff to put in my Forester.

Readily recall the 69 quake watching incredible waves rolling along the ground and street pavement just like water waves on a lake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

SSSdave wrote:Big worry would be my car in the carport has another unit above it. Would hate to find that collapsed down preventing me from driving anywhere for probably too long a time. Worse worry is that a fire could start due to ruptured gas lines thus would want to go back in then grab some important stuff to put in my Forester.
Don't forget that your garage door might not be able to open. When the electricity went out during the Tubbs fire, some died because they couldn't get the door open to get the car out.

On the gas thingy, https://www.pge.com/en_US/residential/o ... vices.page
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Felt it. Woke up. My wife did not. From Napa it was just a gentle jolt.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Most certainly felt that one. Here in Castro Valley it shook well enough so that there was no doubt it was an earthquake, although it was also clear it was a relative small earthquake. As I lay bed, I estimated the magnitude based on the duration of the shaking as being about 4.5 and figured from the intensity of shaking that it was at a moderate distance (perhaps about 20 km or so) on either the Calaveras or Hayward fault. When I got up this morning and checked the USGS website and saw that it was a M4.4 on the Hayward fault near the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley. This was the 2nd earthquake we've felt here in Castro Valley in the past half year or so. I recall a closer but much smaller M2.9 on the Hayward fault in San Leandro. I felt two M6+ earthquakes while in NE Japan back in September but they were so far away you could barely tell it was an earthquake.

Note that on the USGS site you can also look at the readings from the nearest instruments and estimate how hard it shook where you were at. When you are on the page for the specific earthquake you can click on the "Shake Map". Then you zoom in and look at the results for the nearest instruments. From this, I'd guess that at my location the peak ground acceleration was about 0.04 to 0.05 g. In contrast, the one instrument in the city of Napa picked up 0.004g, the two different locations in Petaluma measured about 0.02 and 0.005 g respectively, etc.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Yeah, it woke us up here in Fremont. About 5s of light rapid shaking. Still hoping to experience a sizable one someday, I always seem to be away when the real fun happens.