Christmas Eve.. What is everyone cooking?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Christmas Eve.. What is everyone cooking?

Post by rlown »

Just wondering..

I'm doing a prime rib, asparagus, and baked potatoes, with au jus. Next day is cannelloni. Yes, I like to cook.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Christmas Eve.. What is everyone cooking?

Post by RichardCullip »

Our traditional Christmas Eve dinner is clam chowder with some garlic cheesey bread. Christmas Dinner this year is Veal Parmesan, spaghetti w/meatballs and asparagus.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

We are in the new house in WA and our daughter is visiting from CalPoly. She has been cooking up a storm: fancy soups from scratch, spaghetti with homemade meatballs (parmesan centers), omelettes, chicken casserole. We will eat out Monday in a huge log lodge called Heathman's Bar and Grill at the Heathman Lodge. I'll be having their Cajun style Shrimp and Grits.

Our new house overlooks a mile wide meadow with a small stream meandering through it. Straight across the other side is a small mountain called Green Mountain. On a clear day you can look upstream and see just the summit of St. Helens. Looking downstream is a complete and full view of Mt. Hood, completely covered in snow. I'm not close to my Sierra any more, but I am in some beautiful mountains up here. :thumbsup:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Glad that you got the new home done. Sounds beautiful. The menu at the lodge looks great!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Our usual meal is Dungeness crab....but we're in DC this year, going out to eat.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Christmas Day with daughter and family (1/2 hour drive) and prime rib with all the fixins. The next day we are heading south to snowbird for the Winter, so we are emptying the refrigerator. We are down to a few leftovers and canned soup. No fancy dinner tonight.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Me too for prime rib. Making Yorkshire pudding with the fat. My spuds will be mashed with roasted garlic. Gotta have something green , so it's brussels off the stalk roasted in duck fat. I'll sauté up some mixed mushys too...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

TahoeJeff wrote:Me too for prime rib. Making Yorkshire pudding with the fat. My spuds will be mashed with roasted garlic. Gotta have something green , so it's brussels off the stalk roasted in duck fat. I'll sauté up some mixed mushys too...
I use a variation of this recipe for the brussels: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/brussels-sprouts-bacon

All the drippings from the prime go into the Sage Jus. It with extra hot horseradish makes everything better. I don't get Yorkshire pudding. :-k
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Leftovers for us today. Hosted my side of the family last Sunday (17 adults/14 kids) with Italian. Last night hosted the missus side (16/5), italian again. Cooking turkey and ham for the kids and grand kids tomorrow.
No desire to hang out in the kitchen again today. Spending the time to start looking at trips for 2018.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Prime Rib in oven here tonight also. :)