NPS fee increase to $70?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: NPS fee increase to $70? Now $35.

Post by rlown »

Yosemite, other popular national parks to raise fees to $35, not $70

MATTHEW DALYASSOCIATED PRESS | April 12, 2018, 1:13PM | Updated 1 hour ago.
WASHINGTON — The Interior Department is increasing fees at the most popular national parks to $35 per vehicle, backing down from an earlier plan that would have forced visitors to pay $70 per vehicle to visit the Grand Canyon, Yosemite and other iconic parks.

A plan announced Thursday would boost fees at 17 popular parks by $5, up from the current $30 but far below the figure Interior proposed last fall.

Interior Department backing off steep fee hikes at national parks

$70 to get into Yosemite? Maybe under proposed plan
The plan by Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke drew widespread opposition from lawmakers and governors of both parties, who said the higher fees could exclude many Americans from enjoying national parks. The agency received more than 109,000 comments on the plan, most of them opposed.

The $35 fee applies mostly in the West and will affect such popular parks as Yellowstone, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Mount Rainier, Rocky Mountain and Grand Teton parks, among others.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said the fee hikes were needed to help maintain the parks and begin to address an $11.6 billion maintenance backlog.

"Every dollar spent to rebuild our parks will help bolster the gateway communities that rely on park visitation for economic vitality," Zinke said.

Zinke thanked those who made their voices heard through the public comment process: "Your input has helped us develop a balanced plan that focuses on modest increases," he said.

The maintenance backlog "isn't going to be solved overnight and will require a multi-tiered approach as we work to provide badly needed revenue to repair infrastructure," Zinke added.

The plan announced Thursday sets a $5 increase for all parks that charge entrance fees. Parks that previously charged $15 will now charge $20; a $20 fee will rise to $25; and a $25 fee will now be $30.

The current $30 fee is the highest charged by the park service and applies to the 17 most-visited parks. More than two-thirds of national parks will remain free to enter.
Source: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/82177 ... ks?sba=AAS
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: NPS fee increase to $70?

Post by maverick »

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said the fee hikes were needed to help maintain the parks and begin to address an $11.6 billion maintenance backlog.
The current $30 fee is the highest charged by the park service and applies to the 17 most-visited parks. More than two-thirds of national parks will remain free to enter.
Maybe they should consider charging at some of the parks where they currently have no entrance fees, instead raising them at only the 17, the money they get from the 17 surely goes toward the maintenance of all the parks, and not only those 17.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

I think its insulting that tons of money is spent on legal battles over the names of lodging/dining at Yosemite. Two worlds, one with corporate vendors and lawyers, the other with park users who aren't getting the benefits of what could be fully functioning park services. The money alone spent on legal fees could put a significant dent into park maintenance. I am supposed to be thankful that the fees only went up five bucks. I bet if it had gone up fifty bucks, the maintenance issues would not have improved. IMO, most of the money would have gone someplace else, and it would not have been park maintenance. Just my two cents. :(

Here's a list of the parks with fee increases:
https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/entrance-fee-prices.htm

The fees for passes will remain the same:
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Seems kind of excessive to me. I'm glad that I have my senior pass now. :D
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.