Summer Ending

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Summer Ending

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have always preferred summer to winter, and more so as I age. Growing up near the northern border, it was those long depressing hours of darkness I hated. Mid-life in Wyoming, it was the months on end of snow and hideous cold. Moved to California - :nod: Now I enjoy winter without winter! I can stay out of the snow and hike the coast. Go to the desert. Day-trip to Tahoe if I really want to see snow and come back where I do not have to shovel it!

OR- I too wonder if expensive international trips are worth it. There is so much more I have yet to see close to home.

Harlen- sorry to let you know that you NEVER shed the teenagers! They come back to haunt you with college expenses, occasional emergency housing (even those in their 40's!) and grandkids (hey, Mom, can you babysit so WE can go backpacking, ask the grown kids). Only when you can shed the full-time job can you have time for all this plus all the backpacking and travel you want. Stay healthy; live long and soon the grandkid(s) can be your backpack partners as all your contemporaries fall by the wayside.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Summer Ending

Post by Harlen »

Hi Daisy,

Thanks for the warning, and for continually inspiring us with your fitness, and your passion for the mountains.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.