Anyone else notice the increased military activity

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Anyone else notice the increased military activity

Post by dave54 »

in the Sierra lately?

The training routes have gotten real active lately, much more than normal.
Training ramps up right before any planned military action, and much of North Korea is mountainous, similar to the Sierra. A tip-off to a planned pre-emptive strike?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
mrphil
Topix Regular

Re: Anyone else notice the increased military activity

Post by mrphil »

You're right about the topography, but any kind of war will initially be artillery and rockets. The US bases in Area 1 will be highest priority targets, and the DPRK can lay down thousands upon thousands of low altitude rounds per hour, and they've had over 60 years to dig in and hide it. We can deploy all the THAADs we want, but there's nothing that can stop that much volume of unsophisticated, but devastating fire. We hear a lot about casualty projections for Seoul, but the casualty rate for the combined US/ROK troops is estimated at around 150,000 within the first 3 days...before any troops even think about crossing the DMZ, and long before we can get a fix on all their thousands of firing positions. Also, if we're preemptive, China will step in against us in order to keep their buffer zone. It would take us at least 6 months to put all the assets into place to stage a ground offensive. We can train all we want, and it's never a bad idea, but until we see more material moving into Korea, nothing is going to happen.

Bloviating fools aside, I watch this stuff closely. My son is in a field artillery brigade 13 miles from the DMZ.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

mrphil wrote:My son is in a field artillery brigade 13 miles from the DMZ.
I thank your son for his service. And you are in my thoughts as you have to tolerate the bloviating fools while thinking about your son.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

No BOTG. War is senseless, but caving is just as bad. All I'm going to say.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I work in downtown Fresno near the RR tracks and the rails have been jammed with trains transporting military vehicles for the last week or so. Coincidence or not, they are moving tons of equipment around right now for something. I pray for peace. I for one am tired of waging war upon others.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Yeah, the equipment is the thing to watch. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. To field a ton of war machinery, it takes an average of four more tons for support like parts and fuel, and the first place something like an Abrams tank is going to go is on a railroad flatcar. Cut off supply and communications lines, cut off an army's ability to fight. Don't have it where you need it to begin with, you sit and wait for it, and you take whatever comes.
k9mark
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by k9mark »

Mattis just released his plan for the military last week. I foresee a major push on the terrorism war.
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

rlown wrote:No BOTG. War is senseless, but caving is just as bad. All I'm going to say.
True. This whole mess has no good outcome regardless. The civilian and military death toll will be ghastly if we take any military action. Letting kim keep nuclear weapons is also not an option.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

The Ospreys have been flying around South Shore:

http://southtahoenow.com/story/10/14/20 ... 22-ospreys
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman