The campfire's lit....

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

The campfire's lit....

Post by Rosabella »

I was so happy to get Markskor's Email saying that the H.S.T. forum was back up again!! It really does feel like "returning to base camp"! So... just wondered what 's been going on with everyone?

I just completed SCUBA diving lessons and am certified...it's SOO cool! It's a whole different world down there! Diving up here in the Pacific Northwest is actually pretty interesting.... no corral reefs but we've got some pretty cool marine life!

I didn't get to go on a lot of hikes this summer (bummer!)... but I DID get to go to a GREAT African Drum and Dance camp last August. I just couldn't get away much from work this summer - Summer is Pacific N.W. busiest season for construction. BUT I have notified everyone that next year I'll be taking the whole month of August off to do the JMT again... I CAN'T WAIT!!! I've already got my plans underway!

So... what's everyone else been up to?

Rosabella (a.k.a. Rosie)
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Rosie,
Glad you got my e-mail. Welcome back. I too had a great Sierra summer myself with 3 good trips into the backcountry. One early in June proved that you really should know your hiking buddies before you set out. It turns out a long- planned backpacking trip scheduled to go over Piute Pass, then changed for whatever reason and supposed to be above Rock Creek Lake (Hiltons) turned into a car-camping fiasco up and down eastern 395. After 5 days of hot and long "day hikes" and camping next to loud Winnebago’s with no good fishing, I separated and did a 3 day trip, back into Hetch Hetchy area and cleaned up fishing wise.
Later we also did an Aloha Lake, Gilmore, Desolation trip that was a bit buggy but well worth it. Finally an 8-day mandatory Yosemite trip with my 13-year-old son - Washburn Lake and above, which was heaven.
I hope you all had a great, although shortened summer too.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Rosie
Its great to hear you'll be doing the JMT again! We probably haven't talked since the last time. Oh if I only had the time...
Didn't get much done as far as hiking goes this summer - I ended up having way too much going on, on top of having to move from Pasadena to the bay area and starting a new job. Was able to make one 7 day trip in SEKI and, when I think about it, that was it!?! I need a vacation :nod:
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

It is good to see the site up again.

After I retired in January I thought I would have the entire summer to play. My better half gave me a honey-do list and after knocking out most of it I was offered another job in August -- so my retirement was short-lived and I returned to the world of the gainfully employed. :\

I still managed to get a few hikes in and some long mtn bike rides, and a lot of weekends just vegging in the woods in a camping trailer.

No complaints, life goes on. :D
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Post by norcalhiker »

I'm back as well!

I've had a great year out. Today (rafting on the South Fork of the American) was my 104th day out. Most of those were backpacking. I'm lucky enough that I'll be taking off for sea kayaking in baja not once but twice before the year is out.

A highlight of the summer was doing a small solo on the SHR in September. Went from Thousand Island Lake to Blue Lakes Pass. Stellar!
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Sounds like there were a lot of busy work schedules this summer. That, combined with the crazy effects of el nino, made for not a lot of hiking time for a few of us.

Hey, Mark... I did get the fishing pole you recomended! (another Ebay treasure!) I already got the Penn reel earlier this year so, other than getting some tackle and stuff, I'm set now, right? Now I just have to learn how to use it :D

Hi, Greg! Did you ever do that hike from Tahoe to Yosemite? I had intended to do that hike as my next big hike in the Sierra, but I just need to do a complete JMT thru hike. (Two years ago when you and I met, my boots fell apart on me and I had to exit the trail and get new boots - I got back on the trail and finished but I missed the segment going over Mather Pass.) Are you still sewing gear? I was pretty impressed with that :)
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Rosie,
Anytime you are near to Sacramento, the offer of you and your son to stay over is still open. Will even show you how to use that equipment you bought too. Maybe a segment of the JMT next summer- might be a plan.
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
copeg

Post by copeg »

Rosabella wrote:Sounds like there were a lot of busy work schedules this summer. That, combined with the crazy effects of el nino, made for not a lot of hiking time for a few of us.

Hi, Greg! Did you ever do that hike from Tahoe to Yosemite? I had intended to do that hike as my next big hike in the Sierra, but I just need to do a complete JMT thru hike. (Two years ago when you and I met, my boots fell apart on me and I had to exit the trail and get new boots - I got back on the trail and finished but I missed the segment going over Mather Pass.) Are you still sewing gear? I was pretty impressed with that :)
Hi Rosie
Never did have time to the the tahoe yosemite trip - although its still on the list of things I want to do (that list is never-ending). I didn't realize you missed Mather Pass. Thats a great stretch - you'll love it. I hope your future JMT is uneventfull - and with less rain!
Still sewing gear occasionally. I just sewed my first backpack a few months back but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
Greg
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

I'm still unable to walk without my walker. I do manage to get out on short, flat "trails" and handicapped-accessable stuff. I've been getting into photography more now. It's amazing what can be seen from inside of a car!

My doctors believe I don't have Lyme anymore that my problems are some Autoimmune disorder that is effecting my knees and that I may have to consider knee surgery. I'm not 100% sure I beleive them and will probably look for a second opinion before it comes to that.

Maybe next year...
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Wow! It's really great to see everyone showing up again. Glad HST is back.

Rosie, were did you get certified? I certified in Bellingham, WA. and did my open waters on Vancouver Island (Barkley Sound). Very cool!