Is it a sin?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Is it a sin?

Post by overheadx2 »

2.5 - Copy.jpg
I almost didn't post this due to the amount of abuse I will assuredly receive, but I figured there might be some one else out there interested. I just got back from a backpacking trip to Colorado (TR coming) and tried out a new idea. With the new fire restrictions it seems there is very little to do between sundown and when the stars fully emerge. I usually sit around with my hiking partners and tell stories, but by 8 we have usually grown tired of each other as well as cold. I generally end up going to bed by 8 only to find myself wide awake at 4 or 5 AM. This time I bought an 8 oz pocket projector and a large piece of tyvek and watched movies off of my Iphone. Mojitos and a movie, what a great way to pass the evening. I realize this isn't for everyone but figured some one else might find it interesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Is it a sin?

Post by sambieni »

Depends on the movie....
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I find it rather amusing. HYOH!

Oh, I think you need to adjust the contrast a bit. :drinkers:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Suspect that would pass the time on short trips for those many addicted to tv and movies. Of course besides eating dinner and drinking beer, that is about all that large numbers of Americans ever do on week nights after a work day. For longer trips battery power to illuminate the screen would quickly end that amusement.

As for getting in my sleeping bag early after sunset and dusk, that is fine because in summer as a photographer, I much enjoy getting up and outside for dawn, sunrise, and early mornings. That noted, I will say that I rather dislike backpacking in the fall due to long long night hours. By early October there are 13 night hours with only 11 day hours. After 7 or 8 hours sleep that still leaves several hours to deal with. Although I might enjoy reading per below, at some point that become simply too long laying down doing so night after night.

At home over many years, neither watch much tv or many movies. In fact eliminated cable long ago just using OTA antenna and also don't bother with the current rage of Internet streaming because well it is just a big...yawn. If I want to watch a movie will occasionally go down to a theater. A much more efficient way to pass such backcountry evening time or during the day tent bound in stormy weather is to bring along a Kindle for reading. To really extend its life one can add a small lithium ion external battery with a USB charging cable.

David
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

O.K., now I'm looking up pocket projectors :-)
I"m thinking glamping with the adult-like substances (my kids).
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

The picture is actually very clear, it appears very light because I had to lighten the photo in order to show the participants. Like I said Dave, not for everyone, and not for every night. Watching a movie or reading a Kindle don't seem all that far apart, it just depends on the content you watch or read. The batteries weren't a problem since I carry an ankor 15 watt solar charger while hiking.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It's creative! And not a sin (checked with the pope :) )

The chairs are a nice touch as well!
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

Innovative and creative. Which model projector did you get? How's the battery life?
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I think it's super cool. But I dooubt I'd attend a showing of Deliverance any time soon...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

It's made by miroir and weighs 8 oz. The battery life doesn't seem to be great since I used that and a 5k mA Ankor battery to get it through 2 movies and use a 15 watt solar charger to recharge that if I plan to watch a 3rd. I left it out in the cold, so I'm sure that didn't help. This is the first time I have used it so I'm not really sure of the actual battery life.
As far as the chairs go, they are very nice to have. I have realized that some things are worth the extra weight. As I get older, I have compromised on distance for some luxuries and have started to backslide on the ultra light pack to trying to keep it at 30#s. Hot showers, chairs and a movie almost make it seem like a private HSC!