Is it a sin?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is it a sin?

Post by Jimr »

If you smile at me, I will understand
'Cause that is something
Everybody everywhere does in the same language
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

TahoeJeff wrote:I think it's super cool. But I dooubt I'd attend a showing of Deliverance any time soon...
Jeff,

I once ran into those guys up on Grouse Ridge.
10 Deliverance.JPG
:D :D

YMMV,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Jimr wrote:If you smile at me, I will understand
'Cause that is something
Everybody everywhere does in the same language
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

When I first saw this post I was appalled... and then I gave it some serious thought. I imagined myself alone, or with my family up in some brilliant remote place like Ionian Basin, when just before the late afternoon bird calls and insect sounds began... hoping for a coyote serenade, when "What's that noise?!" It's a lot of machine gun fire, bombs and shrieking- maybe it's "Rambo III?!" with a frenetic Hollywood lightshow to go with it ... or what if the noise was some profane music track at high volume? ... and I realized that No, I am $%&ing appalled!

But what I've also noticed is an increase in people with audio speakers in the backcountry. That does impact my experience and almost without exception I don't want to hear it when I'm in the wilderness. There's nothing I can do about it though." Longri
No, I reckon you can steel yourself for a challenging confrontation, approach respectfully, explain why this thing is deeply disturbing to you, and request that the music be turned off or down, or that the movie be put away, or listened to with headphones, and faced away from our view. Aren't there rules covering just this sort of thing? Rules that call for keeping campsites quiet and respecting your neighbors?

In my tenure as a Cal. State Park Ecologist, I recall that the rule was that the Parks were places where the wonderful natural diversity of the State was preserved, and where visitors could explore and experience nature, and that anything seen as purely a human entertainment was curtailed. This came up for instance, when a mountain bike race was proposed. The District Ecologist ruled it out; his determination was that this sort of "hell for rubber" bike race was more purely human entertainment, and that the Park environment was being used as a human playground, rather than there being any meaningful communion with nature. It was controversial, but I for one supported that decision. I can easily see the subtle arguments in these cases, but movie screens and boom boxes? There are serious wildlife disturbance concerns, along with the human conflicts.
I imagine a future time, maybe not so far in the future, where there will be movie nights at larger campsites in the Sierra. With lightweight chairs, improved battery technology, aided by solar charging, lightweight movie screens, and streaming via satellite phone or dish. Jetboil will sell a popcorn popper adapter." Longri
There is surely a middle path somewhere in here, but I would rather hang out at the extreme end of this issue. Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I think the issue comes down to simple respect for your (potential) neighbors. No matter what you do, show some respect.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Interesting point about meaningful. I've watched a lot of videos on Youtube where people are literally running all over the Sierra Nevada in one day. They put music and credits on their videos. I am speculating that if I asked them if they had a meaningful experience in nature, almost of all of them would say yes. It seems like the idea of what is a meaningful experience in nature has been transformed the last ten years with social media. Suddenly a whole bunch of people are feeling motivated to jog all over the parks. I suspect that much of it is technology. I think it's done more than change what is perceived as meaningful but has become part of it i.e. having your camera running while you're running and thinking about all the people who are going to watch your video is now part of the meaningful nature experience. Before, the meaning was different like just knowing you could do it and telling your friends and family. It's much different now.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Where and when possible, if not covered under existing regulations, I would think that audio and video disturbances will be the subject of even more new regulations. Inevitable, but what's sad is that some consider the full "enjoyment" of their experience, with whatever they find necessary to enhance it from their own perspective, is found at the expense of others. Courtesy and etiquette are either something they're unaware of, or worse, but not unheard of on an increasing basis, something supplanted by their own narcissistic belief that what they want and enjoy is what everyone else should want and enjoy, too.

God help us if there ever comes a day that speakers and handguns both become standards on the trail...one likes blasting their music, someone else likes blasting their Glock.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Vaca Russ wrote:
TahoeJeff wrote:I think it's super cool. But I dooubt I'd attend a showing of Deliverance any time soon...
Jeff,

I once ran into those guys up on Grouse Ridge.
10 Deliverance.JPG
:D :D

YMMV,

-Russ
"Da-am, Sumbody dun left a whole passle of perfectly good roofing material right hi'ar in the da-am trail. You got any more of them bungees?"
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I go into the woods for solitude with my friends and purposely will go off trail or bush wack around a lake in order to not be around people. I've even gone so far as to pick up my camp and move when a group settled in close enough to hear them. If some one hears me or my movie, THEY obviously need a lesson in outdoor etiquette.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

If some one hears me or my movie, THEY obviously need a lesson in outdoor etiquette." overheadX2.
Really?... Are you still trying to defend this? This entry of Hollywood, (content- "in your own words: "usually something stupid") which would be barely tolerable if you did it on your front lawn- into the backcountry?! Overhead, this would be a faux pas in a car campground, unless you confined it to the inside of your motorhome! Some people are not just uninterested in Hollywood- we generally find it detestable! I am sure that we are in the minority here, but you have heard of "minority rights?" More to the point take a look at the National Park Mission Statement, and goals.

And I wonder about your argument that you go so deep into the backcountry, that no one will ever see your camp. Other than in winter, we are always headed for remote spots, and we often hike happily into the darkness with our headlamps, or the full moon, and still set up camp in distant off-trail areas. We too rarely see any one else, but it does happen, and it would be so much worse to crest the rim of a high basin and be confronted by Rambo III!!! We could suffer it in a car campground, depending on the rules, the content, and the volume, but in Kaweah Basin I would be... well I would try very hard to find the humor in it, a bit like finding the humor in the election of Trump for President. Thoughtfully, Harlen
DSCN0456.JPG
On my "Ivory Tower," looking down on you. I'm sorry if it seems that way, but to me this is beyond the pale.
(re. my own "sin," dog in the NP: once only on a winter trip... thought it over, regretted it, and decided never again.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.